Green Pool please help! Ive tried everything

May 30, 2011
I am new to taking care of my pool. My husband usually does it but that is not an option this year.

Here are my values...my pool is green and I have put in 5 bags of 1lb shock and it has barely touched it.

The chlorinator has 10 ... 3 inch tablets in it.

I don't know what else I can do and I can't afford to hire someone so I would really appreciate any advice.

Here are my values:

hardness: 200
total chlorine: over 10- off the chart
FC: off scale over 20
PH: 7.5
total alk: 40
Stabilizer=0

I have a large in ground pool.

It's been so hot and my poor kids cant go swimming :( I hope I can fix it soon.

Welcome to TFP!

You should add some stabilizer/CYA. Without CYA in the water you will lose all of your chlorine to sunlight very quickly. It is also a good idea to raise TA quite a bit, especially if you are going to continue using trichlor. Trichlor is very acidic, and higher TA levels help buffer the pool against PH changes caused by using trichlor.

Have you read How To Shock Your Pool in Pool School?

Jason thank you so much ! Yes I read that and I am trying to read as much as I can since I will be the one taking care of the pool now.
Thanks again! I dont think I can purchase any CYA until tomorrow when the pool store opens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.