pentair intelliflo vs hayward Ecostar variable speed

The IntelliFlo has been around for a while and has a very good, but not perfect, reliability record. The EchoStar is new this season, and it is too soon to tell what their reliability will be. The EcoStar has a higher efficiency at low speed, so you save a little more money on electricity. Both of them work best when paired with a same brand automation system, and not so well when paired with a different brand automation system.

Hi Jason,
Can you elaborate on the reliability problems seen with the IF? I am looking into getting one and am worried about the control panel longevity, especially considering the replacement cost. I've also heard something about cooling when running at slow speeds, and water entrainment from the vents in the pump during rainstorms.

By far, lightning is the biggest killer of controllers. It really doesn't matter which of the big 3 manufacturers you use, lightning hits = dead controller. Controllers all cost to replace, regardless of the brand.

Of the thousands (and that is many thousands) of Intelliflo pumps installed, the number of motor failures can be counted with your fingers since it's initial release over four years ago. It's sealed, permanent magnet motor is water tight. It typically runs at slower rpms since it has a 3HP impeller. The others use a 2HP impeller. The motor is rated to 10HP but is governed to 3HP. I think the Jandy uses the same motor but it's controller limits it to 2HP. The Hayward uses a standard 3 phase induction motor to keep its costs lower but they charge nearly the same as the others, which is typical of Hayward, more cheaply made but charge the same price.

Pentair still holds the overall lead in my opinion in reliability, engineering, innovation, and support. Next up is Jandy and then Hayward. About the only thing Hayward has gotten right was the Super Pump.

Scott

The Hayward EcoStar has a permanent magnet totally enclosed motor, just like the IntelliFlo. The discontinued variable speed TriStar was a plain three phase motor.

Keep in mind that problems with the IntelliFlo remain quite rare. There are now enough older units installed that we are starting to get various failure reports, but the total failure rate remains quite low. In any case, most problems appear to involve the controller, either failing completely or simply losing it's ability to communicate with an automation system.

I too am looking into my options in regards to a VFD operated pump as these last two months almost caused me to pass out when I opened my Edison bill.

Don't know what happened this summer vs. last.....

Im a newer homeowner and was wondering if anyone has tried to get their homeowners insurance to cover one of these pumps should the controller fail after the warranty period?

ColdAirGuy said:
I too am looking into my options in regards to a VFD operated pump as these last two months almost caused me to pass out when I opened my Edison bill.

Don't know what happened this summer vs. last.....

Im a newer homeowner and was wondering if anyone has tried to get their homeowners insurance to cover one of these pumps should the controller fail after the warranty period?

The controller is the part I am worried about. It's high dollar!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
les_garten said:
Well, I gotta ask this, especially living in the thunderstorm capital of the world, anyway to surge protect the IF?
i just installed a intelliflo VF 2 months ago :whoot:
and just had FPL install a SURGESHIELD whole house protector.its installed at the outside meter
i am in south florida

ColdAirGuy said:
domingos38 said:
les_garten said:
Well, I gotta ask this, especially living in the thunderstorm capital of the world, anyway to surge protect the IF?
i just installed a intelliflo VF 2 months ago :whoot:
and just had FPL install a SURGESHIELD whole house protector.its installed at the outside meter
i am in south florida

Was it something like this from home depot?

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/surgebreaker-plus-whole-house-surge-protector/901424#BVRRWidgetID
nope.its round and has 2 red led lights that tell you its working as it should.if the lights go out it needs servicing

A whole house surge protector is always a great idea. That will protect your pool equipment from power spikes coming in on the power line. The unit domingos38 mentioned and the one ColdAirGuy pointed to are both fine, and there are many other kinds/brands with various designs which are also great. Anything along those lines is far better than having nothing.

You also want to make sure that your pool and equipment is properly bonded, as that will provide a fair bit of protection against spikes coming from other places.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.