Abnormal FC drop?

Apr 4, 2011
I've had a target of 8 for my FC for the last week or so and it has been dropping to 6 or so, yesterday it only dropped to 7 or 7.5 but was an overcast day. Today it was around 90 and pretty windy, also the first day the kids got in for a couple hours and when I checked it this evening it was down to 4. Is this normal for it to drop that much in a warmer, windy day? The pool calculator had me put 142 oz. in today, at that rate I'm going to have to have a bunch of bleach on hand!!!

Thanks for any input anyone may have.

2 ppm/day isn't extreme.

If those kids were dirty, or someone took a leak in the pool, that can account for the jump in demand. Wind will also blow more organic debris into the pool, even small stuff you can't see easily, like pollen, which will consume chlorine as it gets oxidized.

There's always the OCLT to see if there's trouble brewing.

Thanks guys for all the feedback. That is what I expected the replies to be but just wanted to make sure. I just tested FC and it's at 10 this morning and pH is 7.8. We did have a lot of flying debris, grass, pollen, and such in the pool yesterday as well as a large intertube that I use to keep the pool cover elevated in the middle during the winter. No doubt that thing had some remnants of nastiness on it even though we wiped it off with a wet cloth before putting it in the water.

Thanks again forf all the help! This forum is awesome!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.