Skimmer Design

Lershac

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
Hi all,

I am building my pool, installing the skimmers. I got two Pentair Admiral S15 units, and they have a "circular weir". As I understand the working action, there is an outer basket and an inner-basket insert that floats with the level of the water and debris comes in over the top of that. There are pegs for a normal weir on the skimmer throat.

Any experience with how the circular weir works? quality wise?

Would I be better off just going get regular flap weirs and installing?

am I even spelling weir correctly? lol

Well, usually, the weir is the "door" that stops the debris from floating back in the pool when it shuts off. Overall, the basket with the floating weir is easier to replace parts when needed. I have seen both and they both do the job well. People with the standard basket and weir doors say they should have gone with the basket style and vice versa. I think it's just a matter of personal opinion. Neither of these are going anywhere any time soon. The floating weir basket ususally is bigger, but will still clog just as quick. You are using "Pentair" so either way you will be fine. I've worked on well over 1000 pools in the New Orleans area and I have seen both and can't think of any advantage to either. Just people used to use them alot in the past, so they still get made.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.