Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat Pump/Air Conditioner..Why don't they work together...

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat Pump/Air Conditioner..Why don't they work together...

Today, it was 85 outside. Because it gets cold at night, still, the pool started out at around 76. I have the heat pump set to bring it up to about 83.

My house air conditioner is generating cold air and fanning out hot air. RIGHT NEXT to that, is my pool heat pump, which is generating heat, heating water, and fanning out cold air.

Why don't these things work together? Seems like such a waste of energy.
    26k gal IG, Gunite Baha Sand River Rok (pebble), Hayward DE6020 Filter (120GPM), Hayward NorthStar 2HP (dual speed) pump, Hayward H400FDP 400kBTU heater, Aqua Comfort Heat pump, Pro Logic Automation and Chlorination (SWG), Polaris 3900 (we call him Fred, he likes to get stuck in the corner of our stairs). Watch our pool being built http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S61tQm2fp08

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heat Pump/Air Conditioner..Why don't they work together.

It is a small waste of energy, but they aren't really a good match for each other. Swimming pools need really huge amounts of heat, way more than you are taking out of your house with air conditioning. Home air conditioning produces most of it's waste heat mid-summer when it is really hot out and the pool is not being heated, while the pool needs lots of heat in the spring and fall when the home air conditioner is only running a little.

There are systems that allow you to connect the two together, but they cost way more than you will ever save in energy costs.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Heat Pump/Air Conditioner..Why don't they work together.

Ok, that is sort of what I figured (well, that their use only overlap shortly).
    26k gal IG, Gunite Baha Sand River Rok (pebble), Hayward DE6020 Filter (120GPM), Hayward NorthStar 2HP (dual speed) pump, Hayward H400FDP 400kBTU heater, Aqua Comfort Heat pump, Pro Logic Automation and Chlorination (SWG), Polaris 3900 (we call him Fred, he likes to get stuck in the corner of our stairs). Watch our pool being built http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S61tQm2fp08