First of the season test numbers and a question....

Oct 5, 2007
western NY
Hello all.
I've had a 30' AG pool, dished with a 1hp pump and a 150 lb sand filter. I've been a BBB guy for years and have prided myself on my perfect looking pool. Friends know my pool is always the clearest, etc, and I try to help many other friends who have pools with the BBB method.

Anyway, this year will be my last owning a pool, as I plan on selling my home soon. I need to get the pool looking good for the sale. This week I started getting the pool going. Wouldn't you know, my pump was seized.....like it could not have lasted just one more season. $140 later I had a rebuilt pump....(I know, I could have bought a new pump online for about the same cost....thought the rebuild would be cheaper). The downside was waiting for the pump turned my pool green.

Two days later with a bunch of Chlorine the green was gone and I could see bottom. Started vaccuming/backwashing/etc.....and it seemed that my filter was not keeping the dirt.......after backwashing the dirt seemed to blow out the return. I took the head off and with a garden hose carefully cleaned the sand with a lot of dirt overflowing the filter, thus cleaning the sand real good, better then backwashing. After that the filter seemed to work better, so I think the sand was just filled with dead algae. It seems to be working better now.

My question is; before my pump psi, even after the rebuild was around 12 psi. Now after backwashing it's normal psi seems to be 17. Is this ok? Why the difference? Did I hurt some of the laterals or something? I did replace the return eye....perhaps that and the rebuild changed things. Should I be concerned? The pump seems like it has a strong flow.

Well, the pool is clearer, but still somewhat cloudy. I can see bottom, and it is not green. Here are the numbers from my Taylor test kit, (from the Ben Powell days.....);

FC-10
CC-1
Ph-7.2
Alk-30
CYA-45

I didn't check Calcium yet. After testing I added a half a box of borax. I'll run the pump overnight and keep it on 24 hours for a few days. Pool temp is about 70 degrees.....too cold to get in and scrub sides and vacuum by hand. Pool looks better then it did a few days ago, but not yet near as nice as I'm used to. I'm so used to an easy pool start-up every year...this time I'm a bit rattled.

Sorry for the long post. This website is great! Thank you in advanced for any help, etc.

Respectfully, Frank

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.