Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First of the season test numbers and a question....

1. Back To Top    #1

First of the season test numbers and a question....

Hello all.
    I've had a 30' AG pool, dished with a 1hp pump and a 150 lb sand filter. I've been a BBB guy for years and have prided myself on my perfect looking pool. Friends know my pool is always the clearest, etc, and I try to help many other friends who have pools with the BBB method.

Anyway, this year will be my last owning a pool, as I plan on selling my home soon. I need to get the pool looking good for the sale. This week I started getting the pool going. Wouldn't you know, my pump was seized.....like it could not have lasted just one more season. $140 later I had a rebuilt pump....(I know, I could have bought a new pump online for about the same cost....thought the rebuild would be cheaper). The downside was waiting for the pump turned my pool green.

Two days later with a bunch of Chlorine the green was gone and I could see bottom. Started vaccuming/backwashing/etc.....and it seemed that my filter was not keeping the dirt.......after backwashing the dirt seemed to blow out the return. I took the head off and with a garden hose carefully cleaned the sand with a lot of dirt overflowing the filter, thus cleaning the sand real good, better then backwashing. After that the filter seemed to work better, so I think the sand was just filled with dead algae. It seems to be working better now.

My question is; before my pump psi, even after the rebuild was around 12 psi. Now after backwashing it's normal psi seems to be 17. Is this ok? Why the difference? Did I hurt some of the laterals or something? I did replace the return eye....perhaps that and the rebuild changed things. Should I be concerned? The pump seems like it has a strong flow.

Well, the pool is clearer, but still somewhat cloudy. I can see bottom, and it is not green. Here are the numbers from my Taylor test kit, (from the Ben Powell days.....);

FC-10
    CC-1
    Ph-7.2
    Alk-30
    CYA-45

I didn't check Calcium yet. After testing I added a half a box of borax. I'll run the pump overnight and keep it on 24 hours for a few days. Pool temp is about 70 degrees.....too cold to get in and scrub sides and vacuum by hand. Pool looks better then it did a few days ago, but not yet near as nice as I'm used to. I'm so used to an easy pool start-up every year...this time I'm a bit rattled.

Sorry for the long post. This website is great! Thank you in advanced for any help, etc.

Respectfully, Frank
    He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First of the season test numbers and a question....

With a CC of 1ppm you need to keep shocking.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: First of the season test numbers and a question....

thank you. Yes, I remember now that with a CYA level of 45 I need a shock level of almost 20ppm. I just added some more Chlorine.
    thanks again!

Frank
    He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose....