starting my conversion-will need help

Sep 20, 2007
middle tennessee
ready to change over to SWG..got my Taylor test kit been reading it..i put 8 gals bleach in pool,,turned the pea green..
took a sample today put in little square tester.addeded the 5 drops each,,colers are..lightest green and ph is 8.2 color ,darkness....then,i did the chlorine drop test,,took 2 drops=1.FC to clear water,,,,then did combine chlorine test ,added
45 drops =22.5 CC.?? to clear water, what's it telling me ,,whats next....

First, you want to get the PH down to around 7.2 to 7.4, but only measure PH when FC is below 10. The best thing to lower PH is muriatic acid.

Then you want to add chlorine to bring the FC back up to 15 from whatever you measure it at as frequently as possible. You can use my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature, to figure out how much bleach that requires each time. Keep doing this over and over until the FC level holds overnight.

At first the FC will go away very quickly and CC will climb very high. As you keep at it the FC level will slowly drift up and the CC level will drift down. Eventually FC will hold at 15 overnight and CC will go to zero. Then you change your filter media and you are done.

BIG THANKS,,please bear with me i am just learning all these numbers......
and learning to read a test kit,,,,,
any idea how much muriatic acid i need to add?,,i quess i can get it at lowes...
and my FC took 2 drops to clear up,does that make my reading ok at 1..?

Pooldog,

Welcome to the forum. Read the "Stickies" section completely. It'll answer a lot of your questions. Use Jason's calculator in any of his posts to answer all your questions as to "how much".

Need a little more help...have added 25 gallons of bleach,,cleaned gunk,filtered,ect....water not looking to bad...
but I have a question,,,bought a taylor test kit,,and i need to make sure i'm reading the correct item..
I put 10 ml water in test cylinder-add 1 scope of R-0870 powder,it turns pink..start adding drops
of R-0871 clorine test liquid...its allways takes just 2 and it clears..am i doing it right to get the reading
i need?..

Yes, it sounds like you are doing the FC test correctly and getting a reading of 1.0. This is very reasonable for the early stages of a baquacil conversion. Most of the FC will combine with baquacil very quickly, preventing the FC level from getting very high at first. Once you get most of the baquacil out of the water by using enough chlorine, the FC level will start to go higher.

The pink color indicates the presence of chlorine.....and your drops (to clear sample) tell you what the chlorine level is in your water. Although I have never seen the clear color after the powder, I assume it means the absence of chlorine. :shock:

Good luck with your conversion! :)

Joyce

No color change usually means no chlorine. There can be rare exceptions however. When I get no color change after adding the R-0870 powder I like to do an OTO test (turns the sample various shades of yellow) to double check. If the water stays clear with that also then there is no chlorine. I have had contaminated samples that didn't change color after adding R-0870 but which did have chlorine and the OTO test turned yellow. I'm not sure what the contaminate was, but a second sample from the same pool in a different container tested at a reasonable FC level both times that has happened.

Also, very very high FC levels can bleach out the R-0870. It doesn't usually stay clear when that happens, but it isn't pink either. In that case you just add more R-0870 till it turns pink.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
my latest,,,,,,water looks GREAT,,,crystal clear and blue....anyone unsure "like me",,so far I have,,,added,,40 gallons bleach,,you must vaccum to waste a lot!!just about to get my chlorine where it needs to be,,thanks to everyone
for the help....it works........

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.