Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool heater

1. Back To Top    #1

pool heater

hi

what is a good heater for AG pool, 24', in wisconsin. would like long life so something that won't rust out, natural gas, BTU?

thanks
    Gary
    thanks
    gary

24ft x 54" aquasphere mission agp, cartridge filter, 1.5 hp hayward, TF-100, BBB method, pool install July 2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool heater

Natural gas 400k btu's. I wouldn't consider anything smaller. But what do I know? I live in south Alabama!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

what brand/model is good that will have long life?
    thanks
    thanks
    gary

24ft x 54" aquasphere mission agp, cartridge filter, 1.5 hp hayward, TF-100, BBB method, pool install July 2010

4. Back To Top    #4

For an in-ground pool costing $30k + then the cost of a heater is minor in relation to the overall cost of the project.
    For above ground pools that cost in the $4-5k range, the cost of adding a heater is significant.

If your budget allows, a 400k btu heater will certainly heat your water quickly. The down side to the larger units are the higher up front cost and the higher install costs.
    For example, a Pentair master temp is around $2300 + install.
    The cost of the heater + installation is probably more than the entire cost of your above ground pool.

The heaters specifically marketed for the above ground market are lower in BTU output and will take longer to warm your pool; however, they will be more in line with the price of the total pool project. Pentair minimax 100k btu is around $900 + install.
    http://www.poolcenter.com/heaters_purex ... olstor.htm

Hayward minivolt above ground units are $800 + install.
    http://www.poolcenter.com/heaters-haywa ... ground.htm

The install on these smaller units will be less than the larger units as you are able to use smaller gas lines, 1 1/2" connections for water and the electrical connections are 120v plug-in.

Price it both ways and let us know what you decide.

PSG
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

5. Back To Top    #5

2 solar bear (by Fafco) solar panels and a solar cover. We might have just a bit milder weather, but the pool water was up to 84deg today while the air temp high was only 82
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

oh I already have my huge solar heater connected that I heat the house with in the winter but........ I also have a wife if you know what I mean
    thanks
    gary