Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Granular CYA? How to add.

1. Back To Top    #1

Granular CYA? How to add.

Pool school says put solid in a sock. This is granular and the directions say to pour into the skimmer. Which is the best way? Thank you!
    16 x 32 AG Fanta Sea 13,500 gal/ Hayward Sand Filter/ 1 hp Hayward Power Flo LX Pump
    1 skimmer 1 main drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Granular CYA? How to add.

Granualar IS solid - pour it into a sock, hang in front of skimmer or tie the sock to a chunk of that foam pool noodle stuff and allow it to float around until dissolved. Pouring into your skimmer risks causing issues with the equipment, also if you backwash your filter, some of the undissolved granuals will be expelled in the backwash water. It can take up to several days for the granuals to dissolve.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

3. Back To Top    #3

I was afraid you were going to say that! Guess I was grasping at straws here. Really don't like messing with all these chemicals....but I'm stuck with it! Thank you for the reply. Any ideas on how to tie it in front of the skimmer since our basket actually sits under the deck? Can I just put the sock in the skimmer basket? And I need to add 54 oz since my level is 0, just to get it to 30. Thanks again.
    16 x 32 AG Fanta Sea 13,500 gal/ Hayward Sand Filter/ 1 hp Hayward Power Flo LX Pump
    1 skimmer 1 main drain

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, you can just put the sock in the skimmer basket.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

You can also slowly pour it slowly into the skimmer if you're absolutely sure you're not going to need to backwash for a week.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I use an old sock and use a velcro strip to close it up. Place it in the skimmer and take it out 4-5 days after.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I put it in a sock over both returns using a big rock to hold it in place. After several hours I go back and massage the sock in front of the return until it's fully dissolved.

Doug