Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Cover

this year I got a solar cover for our pool as it is in partial shade and needs a little omph to warm up. So far I am happy with it, however do I need to do anything differently with a different cover?

Should I take it off periodically during low use to get air, does that matter.

Will it affect the rate at which my chemicals dissipate, exspecially chorline?

Should a I leave it off for a certain amount of time after adding chemicals?

any any other helpful info you have reguarding them :0
    12'x30" Intex AG 1,485g pool, w/530gph cartidge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Cover

Have used one for 11 yrs...I just keep mine on..Pull off when we go swimming..The biggest thing is to keep it on at night..It will keep the evaporation&clorine loss down...Some people on the site will say pull it off when you shock..I just keep mine on..I just pull it back when I make add's at night...I love mine..Keep's alot of trash out of water..
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

So if my Chlorine is high and I want it to go down to a swimming acceptable level would I need to take the cover off during the day so it take in more sunlight and knocks down my chlorine # faster? Or will it go down just as fast with the solar cover on? I want to keep as much heat in the pool as its not an extremely hot spot we are allready up to 60 degree's which for the crappy weather we have had I am happy that it is going up almost each day..

but with my Chlorine levels approx 30 (pool calculater) as I do not have my good test kit yet on the way and can"t go above 5 on my test...but it is orange/dark orangeish. last year it took forever to get a decrease in my Chlorine, so if I can help it go down by either taking cover off or leaving it on I will.
    12'x30" Intex AG 1,485g pool, w/530gph cartidge filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Not really sure..I would say yes to get it down faster pull the cover back..Keeping it on at night will cut down on heat loss&evaporation..But, I'm not the expert..I just chimed in on yes the Solar Cover does really make a difference..I would not go without one..One I have now is on it's 4th summer..Starting to get a little soft but still good..
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry to jump on this topic with my own post but do you run the pump with the solar cover on as well?
    Temecula, CA
    16X32 (approx) 20k gal, DE filter, IG, plaster/pebble with diving board & slide
    Whisperflo pump; Pentair SMBW 4000 Series filter... that's all I know! Still learning....

6. Back To Top    #6

You can run the pump with the cover on and to burn FC during the day you will want to pull the cover off and expose the water to sunlight
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

I was going to ask the same basic question... I opened a swamp this year (I always open a swamp... I will always open a swamp. I have accepted this now. I am OK with it now).

Last year, during the summer, I noticed that once I started using a solar cover, I pretty much almost stopped using chemicals. (I'm in a fairly cool climate, and the pool isn't heated so it doesn't get used that often). Maybe a cup of bleech every other day.

So, as I was treating the pool while opening, I would wonder if the cover did so well at holding in the chlorine, wouldn't it do well to keep it covered while shocking?

On the other hand, if it's holding in the cholorine, wouldn't it also hold in the chloramines? And if it does, would it really matter?

8. Back To Top    #8

Waste products go out via the filter, bot the sun or air.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!