CYA questions

Hi brand new season and brand new questions :)

This year I am starting out right usign BBB, I opened the pool 5 days ago and started out with doing dichlor 3oz each day for 4 days. If I am disolving the dicholr and adding it in front of the return does it still take a week to get an accurate CYA test or can I test it after the 4days to get an accurate reading?

Also our pool location is under a tree and partial shade so the sun does not depleate the cholrine very fast, in fact it takes a long time. for instance after the inital 3oz/4day does of dichlor it will take a few weeks or longer before I will need to add any bleach to the pool, from a cost standpoint that is great, but from a hey we are waiting for safe swim levels it takes for ever.

In the future set up should I aim for a lower CYA so it does not hold the chlorine as stable giving me a little more control over how fast we can use it, or just stick with the reccomend opening schedule? Is there a better way to open it, say instead of doing dichlor for 4 days in a row. Do dichlor 1x a week? maybee its a non issue and I should just open it sooner in the season so it is a good level by the time the weather gets nice or am I just impatient? or is it better to shock it right out of the gate and wait for it to drop?

Also we can safely swim at a FC of like 10 or 12 if we have a CYA of 38 right? I can"t remember from last season.

I have not tested much yet, my FC test kit should be here friday and I will have FC results as I am using a walmart drop kit right now and diluting to 3/1 with distilled water and just guess with those results and what the calculator says it should be after adding the dichlor...but I know last year it tooks weeks for it to drop after dichlor was added.

Yes, you can safely swim. You could use half the amount of dichlor for longer periods till the CYA is where you want it, that is a small pool - you could just add 2-3 oz and calculate your additions that way - refer to the bottom section of the Pool Calculator. It is safe to swim up to shock level, so refer to the CYA chart as you track the dichlor additions.

No, you don't have to wait a week when using Dichlor. In fact, as long as you are tracking the additions, then you know how much you have added and what your level should be. It should register on tests within 48 hours when using Dichlor.

I think next year instead of Dichlor I am going to just use bleach and CYA in a sock to open. Accoring to the pool calculater my chlorine should be about 30 after adding dichlor for 4 days. If this year is like last it will take forever to get my Chlorine to below shock and a swimable level for a 30pm CYA level...let the waiting game begin. I like the dichlor as it is much easier than the sock, but I like more control over the chlorine level

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.