using RTF silicone

patplh

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2009
Massachusetts
we had an issue with sand in our multi-port valve to the point where we couldn't move the port handle. We ended up taking it apart and putting it back together. a few days later, we realized that we were losing water through the waste hose when the pool was set to filter. I opened it up again and determined everything was OK, except that the rubber gasket that surrounds the various port entries/outputs probably needs some RTF.

how important is it that the surfaces remain completely dry while the RTF is drying? it says it needs 5 minutes to create a skin and 24 hrs to fully cure? there is water constantly in our valve, so i dried it as best i could before applying the silicone and the gasket.. but within minutes, it was covered in water because of the leveling of the water in the DE filter, i think. do I need to drain the filter before i do this? and do i need to apply pressure to the gasket to make sure a seal is formed?

thanks so much,
patty

RTV silicon probably isn't a good idea for this application. If it isn't fully cured, it will smear and then glue everthing together. What it does is grabs moisture from the air and uses that in the process that makes it Room Temperature Vulcanizing. Just because it skins doesn't mean the whole thing is solid. I use it at work, we call it Form-in-place-gasket. It won't fully harden for hours.

Unless the valve is some archaic thing, the local pool store probably has a gasket for it in stock.

so RTV silicone is OK to use? but I need to keep it super dry while it cures?
in the meantime tho, while trying to get the handle back on the valve, I ended up breaking the key/valve assembly.. so now i need to buy another one... this is the worse pool opening of my life (at least i hope it is, since it's actually only my 2nd pool opening)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.