Mar 20, 2011
Grand Rapids, Michigan
FC 18
CC .5
TA 130
PH 7.5
CH 190
CYA 40

Water looks pretty darn good compared to last week when I opened it to a bunch of gray sludge resting on the bottom. Is this what one would call mustard algae? I vac'd most all of it out and the filter caught most of what got suspended. Just a bit more vac'ing to do today. Should I add more chlorine to get my CC to zero? Also, after much reading in pool school I couldn't find a chlorine level where it would be safe to put down the solar blanket. Any ballpark figures out there? We're finally suppossed to get some heat & sun out here & I'd like to be able to put the solar cover down at night. Thanks all & have a good weekend!

It probably isn't mustard algae, just sludge. You should vacuum up as much of it as you can.

CC at 0.5 or lower is fine.

The solar cover should be fine at anything below shock level. I'd wait until FC comes down a little before putting the solar cover back on.

You can put the solar cover on at night. take it off during the day as sunlight helps destroy CCs. Using a solar while shocking may shorten it's life span but they only last about 2 seasons anyway.

Did your FC hold overnight? IF you lose less than 1ppm overnight you can stop shocking.

No, that doesn't sound like mustard algae.

Jason types faster than me.... :goodjob:

DebbieO,

This post is fine for now but, as a rule, always keep your posts in one thread unless it is a completely unrelated subject. That way, anyone logging on to your thread can read your whole "story" and give you much better advice. :lol:

& do an overnight FC loss test tonight
Hey, Debbie,

As a rule, I would not waste the chemistry on an OFCLT unless your water is really clear. It sounds like you will be ready soon but perhaps not tonight unless you can see the deep end bottom clearly.

That said, we sure love selling refills!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I CAN see the deep end & bottom very clearly. Thanks for the tip, though. I'm sure I will be ordering refills in the near future and I absolutely love my TF100 kit. I never would have ordered one if it wasn't for TFP being there to guide me through it. I wouldn't have the confidence to tackle it myself & would still be going to the pool store. BTW, the pool store told me it was OK to have CYA as high as 200. TFP is 20,000 strong and can't be wrong!:)

Yup...20,000 members and rapidly growing, and that doesn;t count folks who just read the forum and pool school, yet do not sign up :goodjob:

Glad you have made great progress, and good riddance to the PS :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.