Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: best way to get cya in to pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

best way to get cya in to pool?

Need to get my CYA up...I'm noting it as 0 since I can still see the black dot and its full to the top. I just poured stabilizer into a stocking and hung it next to the return jet...but I still need to brush and shock...is this the best way to get it into the pool? I don't want to put it into the skimmer because I'll probably have to vacuum again this evening and don't want to waste it.
    Julie

Atlantic Pool Products "Prestige" metal wall pool 18' x 48" round
    vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump
    Hayward Perflex DE Filter Model EC50AC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: best way to get cya in to pool?

If you're likely to have to backwash the filter, then placing it in a sock/stocking in front of a return is the best way to do it. You can also massage teh sock to help it dissolve faster.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

It is recommended NOT to backwash for a week after adding it.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

The 'no backwashing' rule is more for people that put it in the skimmer. If you pour it into the skimmer and it's trapped in the filter till it dissolves and you backwash before that happens then you'll lose a good protion of it. However, if you hang it in front of a return you won't lose nearly as much if you have to backwash. Of course, not backwashing at all would be best, but you can't always help it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

is backwashing the same as vacuuming to waste??
    Julie

vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump

6. Back To Top    #6

also, the sandpaper feel all around the sides of the pool are calcium buildup from over the winter months of no treatment. I was using the edge of the pool brush to scrape it in a downward motion as its all down the sides from water level to the bottom. Is there anything other than scrubbing and scraping that will loosen it?
    Julie

vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump

7. Back To Top    #7

No, backwashing and vacuuming to waste are different. To vacuum to waste you need to have a multi-port valve that can be set to the waste position.

Scraping off the calcium as you describe is a good approach. You could try using a sequestrant designed for calcium to soften it up, but if scraping is working for you that is a better approach.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

there is a valve at the bottom of the DE filter that you have to unscrew...then the water rushes out with all the gooey DE..at least thats the way I've been doing it for two summers.
    Julie

vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump

9. Back To Top    #9

OMG>....Never have i worked so hard like I did today! I...ME....MYSELF...scraped the walls all around the 24ft pool!!!! While doing that, I had tube socks on and rubbed the bottom divots that felt slippery and brushed the bottom the best I could since I couldn't see a thing with dead algae and calcium scales floating in the water....shocked the pool tonite..running the pump/filter..have bumped twice in last 4 hrs. Will bump again at 10pm, then see if I can persuade hubby to walk across the yard after midnite to check the pressure and bump again. Plan on the family getting in first thing in the morning to walk fast around the perimeter to get the water swirling in a whirlpool motion and exit the pool. Hoping for it to mostly settle in the center, then vacuum to waste, add new DE, and keep filtering. We have about 12 kids coming tomorrow for a little pool party for a couple hours. My thinking is to use the kids to splash up a storm, and their feet should help loosen any debris still on the bottom while the filter is still running.
    Julie

vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump

10. Back To Top    #10

That sounds like a good plan to me.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

OMG....its AMAZING what throwing in 13 kids into a 24' pool can do for getting the last bits of algae and scaling can do for you!!!!!! LOLOL All the splashing and foot scrubbing going on, I've already bumped my filter twice with them in it! The floor is looking GOOD!!!!! LOL
    Julie

vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by julie492
    OMG....its AMAZING what throwing in 13 kids into a 24' pool can do for getting the last bits of algae and scaling can do for you!!!!!! LOLOL All the splashing and foot scrubbing going on, I've already bumped my filter twice with them in it! The floor is looking GOOD!!!!! LOL
    LOL You can also use those kids when you need to raise your pH!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

My stockings of stablilizer have been hanging and slowly dissolving for the last few days....they were 1/2 full. I went out a while ago and one stocking is totally empty and the other pretty close. Wonder if they were squeezing them while in there???
    Julie

vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump