Water is till cloudy

I also have the same problem. I opened my pool the last week in April, it was swampy green but a couple of doses of shock fixed that. I am told by the pool store that my chemistry is good. I just changed the sand, have used clarifier, and have added floc. Nothing is working. Still cloudy. Can barely see the bottom in the shallow end. Have been running the filter 24/7.

FC 7.56
CC 9.27
pH 7.5
TA 157
CH 64
CYA 94

The pressure does not seem to be going up enough to backwash. I've also tried Fiber Clear, backwashed after that, but it hasn't gone up enough to backwash again. I'm getting frustrated. The pump and filter system could be about 25 years old. Could it be time for a pump?

Welcome to TFP!

Your CYA level appears to be very high. It is extremely difficult to kill all of the algae when the CYA level is that high. I recommend replacing water until CYA is down around 50 or 60.

I sure hope that CC isn't 9.27. If it is you need to shock the pool until CC goes down to 0.5 or lower.

Welcome to TFP!

Please read Pool School (link at the top right side of every page). As Jason said, gaining control of your water means replacing at least half of it with fresh, new water to lower your CYA. It will be much easier to clear that CC once you have done this. If you are using stabilized forms of chlorine such as trichlor tablets or dichlor powder, now is the time to stop. Bleach only from this point. :goodjob:

Re: Water is still cloudy

Here are some better readings from yesterday's test. Different pool store.
FC .4
CC .7
pH 7.6
TA 140
CH 50
CYA 95

It's looking a little clearer, but still cloudy. I hate dumping half the water out, my water bill will sky rocket, but if that's what it takes, I'll suck it up.

Better, CC is still a little high, but much more plausible.

I still recommend replacing water to get CYA down to 50 to 60, so at least 1/3rd of your water. With a vinyl liner you don't want to lower the water level below about one foot above the bottom of the shallow end, which should be just about right.

I would guess a little lower than that, 28K to 30K gallons. Using any number around there is fine for now. Watch to see if your chemical additions are consistently too much or too little and adjust your estimate as needed.

That's awesome!

Go to poolcalculator.com, put as many numbers in as you have, select troublefreepool as your source for goals, then it will tell you your shock level and how much bleach to add to bring to shock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.