Pro Logic PS-8, Sense and Dispense

May 29, 2011
Keller, TX
My 2003 Aqua Logic system was obliterated in a lightning storm three weeks ago.

I just spent the weekend installing a Pro Logic PS-8, Sense and Dispense, Stenner acid feeder, and all the new wireless gear including an Aqua Pod.

What I can tell you is that OLDER Aqua Logic and OLDER Pro Logic systems do NOT support Sense and Dispense. Because I wanted it on my old system. I was quite excited about order the new Pro Logic w/S&D, but would never have replaced it if not for the lightning storm.

I'll let you know how it works out for me after a few weeks of it. I've read the PH adjust w/acid pump works wonders, but that the ORP auto-adjust is problematic. I have them BOTH turned on auto, so we will see.

One thing I am confused about, is that in the S&D install manual, it says the two probes (PH & ORP) must not be exposed to freezing weather. However, this is not mentioned in the owners manual. So I guess I need to call Hayward to get the skinny. I hate the idea of removing and reinstalling the probes every winter.

Also, that got me thinking about the Stenner Acid pump. It holds 15 gallons of Acid/water mix. But nothing in the manual says to empty it during freezing weather. Not sure about that either. I live in Texas, so it rarely freezes hard enough to worry about, but those three or four times a year makes me want to know. I don't like the idea of having to unplug and move the thing into the garage every winter.

Sense and Dispense, Acid Feed Freezing Weather

I just recently installed a brand new Pro Logic PS-8 with Sense & Dispense and Stenner acid pump.

In the S&D install manual it says the probes must be protected from freezing weather, but I know several people who say they have never removed them during the winter. I'm wondering if this is true, and what the real implications are.

Also, the Stenner pump holds 15 gallons of Acid/Water mix. Does it need to be removed in the winter also? The manual makes no mention of such, but refers to the pump itself as freeze proof but does not mention the tank.

I live in Fort Worth, TX and the temperature rarely gets to freezing, so we keep out pool open year around.

If you winterize, the probes need to be removed and stored indoors. You also need to be careful to keep the tips of the probes wet. They should have a cap which gets filled with pool water before being put on. They also need to be replaced every two years. The acid pump also needs to be drained and the tubing drained if you get hard freezes.

I'd love to hear how the ORP controller works out for you. Many of us have had problems with ORP sensors giving unstable and misleading results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.