Pentair MniMax NT problem

saltyarkansas

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
Rogers, Arkansas (NW AR)
My heater won't light & I need a little help in diagnosing the problem. When trying to light I get error message E04. I've cleaned all of the orifices, & burners but it still won't light. No flame at all during the ignition sequence. Is it reasonable to believe that I need a new Ignition control module?

Thanks for the responses. I talked to Pentair about the error code E04. Apparently, even though they refer to it as fan failure, they use it as a generic code. The guy I spoke with said that 9 times out of 10, that error code was caused by spider webs or insects in the orifices. I'm not that lucky.

When you get E04 I typically recommend the following diagnostic flow.

1. Does the fan run?
2. Is the fan LED on the back of the board illuminated? If no, pull the tube off the fan, and clean out the barbed fitting on the fan. If if still no suck on the tube to see if you can get the light lit. If that doesnt work you need to replace the vacuum switch/ air flow sensor.
3. Does the igniter light? If not pull both wires off the board, and use multimeter to check for continuity. Resistance should be ~ 75 ohms.

Go through that, and then we can go deeper.

EO4 is listed as fan failure but thats not what it means. Most of the time its the igniter, gas, or flame sensor. The vacuum switch does play a role in that but most of the time its not it. You can always jump the vacuum switch "AFTER THE FAN COMES ON" to see if thats the problem. If it fires then there you go. If not, Pull the igniter out and check gas.

I had the E04 error on my Minimax NT model 400 DV and the inside indicator light flashing 3 times to indicate lockout with fan failure. However, it was not the fan.
1. removed hose from fan in top of unit.. used paper clip to make sure no debris was in the nipple on the fan housing.. (it was all clear)
2. removed other end of hose and blew air through the hose to make sure no debris was within the hose.. (it was clear too)
3. checked ohms on pressure switch with and without vacuum to make sure switch was working correctly.. (it was functioning correctly)
4. reinstalled switch and checked voltage during ignition cycle and verified 24 VAC when fan ran and switch closed.. (ok so fan, switch and voltage all good)
5. check voltage on ignitor.. should be 120 VAC but nothing there..
6. removed ignitor, closed circuit and 120 VAC was there.. so problem appears to be ignitor (nothing about the fan was an issue.. and just a waste of time troubleshooting it all!)
7. order ignitor.. will see what happens when replacement arrives

The ignitor is the most common culprit. When you get the new one, open the box carefully and inspect the element. Recently got two bad consecutive ones. Also, they say not to touch the element with bare hands (or at all) as the oils on your skin can lead to premature failure.

Good luck. This heater has been a headache for me.

Tagging along with my issue:

Fan runs well
Unit ignites for ~3 seconds and then stops
Tries maybe 3 times and then E04

It happens every year when I start up the pool, in the past spiderwebs were the issue. This time vacuuming and using a paper clip to clean the gas nipples did not help.

Any advice for additional cleaning or troubleshooting?

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
End of story: it was a simple case of more cleaning needed.
I went out when it got dark, so I could see the flames better. Initially, only one burner lit up. I blew some air into the unit using the cover and more burners lit. I then new that it is a simple case of clogged nipples. I then worked on the stubborn ones with a paper clip, inserting it as deep as I could into the nipple and pushing it in/out.

Eventually - all burners lit, blue flame. Good to go.

I had the E04 error on my Minimax NT model 400 DV and the inside indicator light flashing 3 times to indicate lockout with fan failure. However, it was not the fan.
1. removed hose from fan in top of unit.. used paper clip to make sure no debris was in the nipple on the fan housing.. (it was all clear)
2. removed other end of hose and blew air through the hose to make sure no debris was within the hose.. (it was clear too)
3. checked ohms on pressure switch with and without vacuum to make sure switch was working correctly.. (it was functioning correctly)
4. reinstalled switch and checked voltage during ignition cycle and verified 24 VAC when fan ran and switch closed.. (ok so fan, switch and voltage all good)
5. check voltage on ignitor.. should be 120 VAC but nothing there..
6. removed ignitor, closed circuit and 120 VAC was there.. so problem appears to be ignitor (nothing about the fan was an issue.. and just a waste of time troubleshooting it all!)
7. order ignitor.. will see what happens when replacement arrives

I know it has been awhile since you posted your problem with your MiniMax pool heater. I have the same heater and it appears I'm having a similar problem. As a followup I was wondering if installing a new ignitor solved your problem. Also as a point of clarification when you said "removed ignitor, closed circuit and 120 VAC was there.. " how exactly did you close the circuit... as I am thinking closing a circuit on a 120 volt supply would result in a short circuit. Any clarification on this would be helpful. I have already replaced the temperature control board which was obviously defective and I was thinking that the ignition control module may be gone as well because like you I can't get the 120v reading at the ignitor terminal on the module.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I know it has been awhile since you posted your problem with your MiniMax pool heater. I have the same heater and it appears I'm having a similar problem. As a followup I was wondering if installing a new ignitor solved your problem. Also as a point of clarification when you said "removed ignitor, closed circuit and 120 VAC was there.. " how exactly did you close the circuit... as I am thinking closing a circuit on a 120 volt supply would result in a short circuit. Any clarification on this would be helpful. I have already replaced the temperature control board which was obviously defective and I was thinking that the ignition control module may be gone as well because like you I can't get the 120v reading at the ignitor terminal on the module.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Check your post you did on this issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.