Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair MniMax NT problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair MniMax NT problem

My heater won't light & I need a little help in diagnosing the problem. When trying to light I get error message E04. I've cleaned all of the orifices, & burners but it still won't light. No flame at all during the ignition sequence. Is it reasonable to believe that I need a new Ignition control module?
    21 x 41 Oval Pacific Pool built in 2005; In-ground; Vinyl; 3'/shallow, 8.5'/deep; 29,200 Gallons; Jandy 1HP FloPro; Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter; Zodiac LRZ 250 Heater; Circupool SI45 SWG; Baracuda G-3 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair MniMax NT problem

It does sound like a bad igniter. Hopefully one of the professional pool guys will be along to confirm or correct my opinion.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Error code E04 indicates a fan failure.

A good service tech may be your best investment at this point.
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses. I talked to Pentair about the error code E04. Apparently, even though they refer to it as fan failure, they use it as a generic code. The guy I spoke with said that 9 times out of 10, that error code was caused by spider webs or insects in the orifices. I'm not that lucky.
    21 x 41 Oval Pacific Pool built in 2005; In-ground; Vinyl; 3'/shallow, 8.5'/deep; 29,200 Gallons; Jandy 1HP FloPro; Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter; Zodiac LRZ 250 Heater; Circupool SI45 SWG; Baracuda G-3 Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

When you get E04 I typically recommend the following diagnostic flow.

1. Does the fan run?
    2. Is the fan LED on the back of the board illuminated? If no, pull the tube off the fan, and clean out the barbed fitting on the fan. If if still no suck on the tube to see if you can get the light lit. If that doesnt work you need to replace the vacuum switch/ air flow sensor.
    3. Does the igniter light? If not pull both wires off the board, and use multimeter to check for continuity. Resistance should be ~ 75 ohms.

Go through that, and then we can go deeper.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

EO4 is listed as fan failure but thats not what it means. Most of the time its the igniter, gas, or flame sensor. The vacuum switch does play a role in that but most of the time its not it. You can always jump the vacuum switch "AFTER THE FAN COMES ON" to see if thats the problem. If it fires then there you go. If not, Pull the igniter out and check gas.

7. Back To Top    #7

I had the E04 error on my Minimax NT model 400 DV and the inside indicator light flashing 3 times to indicate lockout with fan failure. However, it was not the fan.
    1. removed hose from fan in top of unit.. used paper clip to make sure no debris was in the nipple on the fan housing.. (it was all clear)
    2. removed other end of hose and blew air through the hose to make sure no debris was within the hose.. (it was clear too)
    3. checked ohms on pressure switch with and without vacuum to make sure switch was working correctly.. (it was functioning correctly)
    4. reinstalled switch and checked voltage during ignition cycle and verified 24 VAC when fan ran and switch closed.. (ok so fan, switch and voltage all good)
    5. check voltage on ignitor.. should be 120 VAC but nothing there..
    6. removed ignitor, closed circuit and 120 VAC was there.. so problem appears to be ignitor (nothing about the fan was an issue.. and just a waste of time troubleshooting it all!)
    7. order ignitor.. will see what happens when replacement arrives

8. Back To Top    #8

The ignitor is the most common culprit. When you get the new one, open the box carefully and inspect the element. Recently got two bad consecutive ones. Also, they say not to touch the element with bare hands (or at all) as the oils on your skin can lead to premature failure.

Good luck. This heater has been a headache for me.
    35,000 gal pool, Pebble-Tec, Pentair VF pump, DE filter, Aqua Rite SWG, Pentair Minimax Heater in Southern California

9. Back To Top    #9

I got about 70V on the igniter and the error E05. Is it an ignition module?
    When the igniter removed, it get hot red...
    in-ground 20'000 gal; AK60431 cartridge filter x 4; Pentair MiniMax NT heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Tagging along with my issue:

Fan runs well
    Unit ignites for ~3 seconds and then stops
    Tries maybe 3 times and then E04

It happens every year when I start up the pool, in the past spiderwebs were the issue. This time vacuuming and using a paper clip to clean the gas nipples did not help.

Any advice for additional cleaning or troubleshooting?

Thanks!
    Guy
    ~20k gallon IG plaster pool, Pentair 3/4HP Whisperflo, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, IntelliClor IC40 Salt Generator, Pentair Legend Platinum Robotic Cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

Just wanted to clarify: I can clearly see flames, but the unit turns itself off after ~3 sec.
    How do I troubleshoot the flame sensor? Can I use a multimeter?
    Guy
    ~20k gallon IG plaster pool, Pentair 3/4HP Whisperflo, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, IntelliClor IC40 Salt Generator, Pentair Legend Platinum Robotic Cleaner

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by guydot View Post
    Just wanted to clarify: I can clearly see flames, but the unit turns itself off after ~3 sec.
    How do I troubleshoot the flame sensor? Can I use a multimeter?
    Clean the wire probe part of it with steel wool or a scotchbrite pad
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

13. Back To Top    #13

I actually took the flame sensor out and it looked pretty clean.

I suspect that I not all the burners ignite. Is there a good way to clean the burners? I already used a paper clip for the gas nipples.
    Guy

14. Back To Top    #14

End of story: it was a simple case of more cleaning needed.
    I went out when it got dark, so I could see the flames better. Initially, only one burner lit up. I blew some air into the unit using the cover and more burners lit. I then new that it is a simple case of clogged nipples. I then worked on the stubborn ones with a paper clip, inserting it as deep as I could into the nipple and pushing it in/out.

Eventually - all burners lit, blue flame. Good to go.
    Guy

15. Back To Top    #15

Red face Re: Pentair MniMax NT problem

Quote Originally Posted by ron2you View Post
    I had the E04 error on my Minimax NT model 400 DV and the inside indicator light flashing 3 times to indicate lockout with fan failure. However, it was not the fan.
    1. removed hose from fan in top of unit.. used paper clip to make sure no debris was in the nipple on the fan housing.. (it was all clear)
    2. removed other end of hose and blew air through the hose to make sure no debris was within the hose.. (it was clear too)
    3. checked ohms on pressure switch with and without vacuum to make sure switch was working correctly.. (it was functioning correctly)
    4. reinstalled switch and checked voltage during ignition cycle and verified 24 VAC when fan ran and switch closed.. (ok so fan, switch and voltage all good)
    5. check voltage on ignitor.. should be 120 VAC but nothing there..
    6. removed ignitor, closed circuit and 120 VAC was there.. so problem appears to be ignitor (nothing about the fan was an issue.. and just a waste of time troubleshooting it all!)
    7. order ignitor.. will see what happens when replacement arrives
    I know it has been awhile since you posted your problem with your MiniMax pool heater. I have the same heater and it appears I'm having a similar problem. As a followup I was wondering if installing a new ignitor solved your problem. Also as a point of clarification when you said "removed ignitor, closed circuit and 120 VAC was there.. " how exactly did you close the circuit... as I am thinking closing a circuit on a 120 volt supply would result in a short circuit. Any clarification on this would be helpful. I have already replaced the temperature control board which was obviously defective and I was thinking that the ignition control module may be gone as well because like you I can't get the 120v reading at the ignitor terminal on the module.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Canadaguy1 View Post
    I know it has been awhile since you posted your problem with your MiniMax pool heater. I have the same heater and it appears I'm having a similar problem. As a followup I was wondering if installing a new ignitor solved your problem. Also as a point of clarification when you said "removed ignitor, closed circuit and 120 VAC was there.. " how exactly did you close the circuit... as I am thinking closing a circuit on a 120 volt supply would result in a short circuit. Any clarification on this would be helpful. I have already replaced the temperature control board which was obviously defective and I was thinking that the ignition control module may be gone as well because like you I can't get the 120v reading at the ignitor terminal on the module.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
    Check your post you did on this issue.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

17. Back To Top    #17

My Pentair MiniMax NT - problem: it give me a E05 error. Which part specifically needs to be replaced? I've already replaced the fan, the motherboard, gas line is open, don't know where the igniter switch is???, and am wit's end!!