CYA and low chlorine reading

Red Shirt Ensign

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 10, 2011
Tonight I did my readings and after a somewhat sunny day I found I had no chlorine left to register on the test. So after immediately freaking out adding some chlorine to bring the level up to about 3-4
I ran my cya test again and found that after 1week since adding I still have 10-15 cya instead of the 40 which I dosed for. So should I wait more or write it off to old cya from the pool store and add more now?

Also, we had recently had a bad storm which caused about 6-7 baskets of debris worth of vacuuming which we sucked over two days

New pool up only a week
Should I do any cleanup to my cartridge filter yet or let it be
Would hare for too much debris to be sitting there consuming my chlorine!
Thanks
Dan

Red Shirt Ensign said:
Tonight I did my readings and after a somewhat sunny day I found I had no chlorine left to register on the test. So after immediately freaking out adding some chlorine to bring the level up to about 3-4
I ran my cya test again and found that after 1week since adding I still have 10-15 cya instead of the 40 which I dosed for. So should I wait more or write it off to old cya from the pool store and add more now?

Is the CYA completely gone from the sock(s)?

I added 2 lbs. of CYA (this time the stuff I bought from DTYdirect (from an earlier thread on the board)
Put it in the skimmer with a sock... gonna need a rock for that skimmer basket it won't stay down for anything... plus the little metal bar came out once when I pulled it during skimming and it got stuck in the tube towards the pump... had to make a big mess to get it out...

Does the pool calculator have the ability to calculate how much borax to add to compensate for CYA loweing the PH? I went with 1 Lb.

Red Shirt Ensign said:
Does the pool calculator have the ability to calculate how much borax to add to compensate for CYA loweing the PH? I went with 1 Lb.
I wouldn't worry about that. It gets lowered, but not by an extraordinary amount and besides, due to carbon dioxide outgassing you'd really need to test the pH anyway rather than trying to predict it. Just let things mix and when the CYA is dissolved then measure the pH. You can then put the current and target pH into The Pool Calculator and it will tell you how much Borax to add.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.