Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA and low chlorine reading

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA and low chlorine reading

Tonight I did my readings and after a somewhat sunny day I found I had no chlorine left to register on the test. So after immediately freaking out adding some chlorine to bring the level up to about 3-4
    I ran my cya test again and found that after 1week since adding I still have 10-15 cya instead of the 40 which I dosed for. So should I wait more or write it off to old cya from the pool store and add more now?

Also, we had recently had a bad storm which caused about 6-7 baskets of debris worth of vacuuming which we sucked over two days

New pool up only a week
    Should I do any cleanup to my cartridge filter yet or let it be
    Would hare for too much debris to be sitting there consuming my chlorine!
    Thanks
    Dan
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

I should also note I will retest before bed now and again in the morning
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: CYA and low chlorine reading

Quote Originally Posted by Red Shirt Ensign
    Tonight I did my readings and after a somewhat sunny day I found I had no chlorine left to register on the test. So after immediately freaking out adding some chlorine to bring the level up to about 3-4
    I ran my cya test again and found that after 1week since adding I still have 10-15 cya instead of the 40 which I dosed for. So should I wait more or write it off to old cya from the pool store and add more now?
    Is the CYA completely gone from the sock(s)?
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

4. Back To Top    #4

Then it is time to add more CYA. Test, adjust, and test again, until it gets where you want it.

There have been occasional reports of 50% cyanuric acid.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

The bottle called for broadcasting it into the pool so I did that via pump on high and I slowly poured it in front of the return to disperse around the pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

Any comments on the filter?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Any comments on the filter?
    I can't tell for sure but it sounds like you are asking if the filter should be cleaned.....ABSOLUTELY if you have had that much debris collected by the pump strainer basket, your filter surely needs cleaned.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Cleaning the filter should be done based on the pressure increase on the gauge on the filter. Clean the filter when the pressure goes up by about 6 psi from the clean filter pressure.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I added 2 lbs. of CYA (this time the stuff I bought from DTYdirect (from an earlier thread on the board)
    Put it in the skimmer with a sock... gonna need a rock for that skimmer basket it won't stay down for anything... plus the little metal bar came out once when I pulled it during skimming and it got stuck in the tube towards the pump... had to make a big mess to get it out...

Does the pool calculator have the ability to calculate how much borax to add to compensate for CYA loweing the PH? I went with 1 Lb.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Red Shirt Ensign
    Does the pool calculator have the ability to calculate how much borax to add to compensate for CYA loweing the PH? I went with 1 Lb.
    I wouldn't worry about that. It gets lowered, but not by an extraordinary amount and besides, due to carbon dioxide outgassing you'd really need to test the pH anyway rather than trying to predict it. Just let things mix and when the CYA is dissolved then measure the pH. You can then put the current and target pH into The Pool Calculator and it will tell you how much Borax to add.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"