Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuum is now only 1/2 as strong as it used to be??

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuum is now only 1/2 as strong as it used to be??

Opened pool up this year, water was easy to get crystal clear. Pump seems to be working property at 10 psi. Everything is GREAT! However, when I go to vacuum the pool, my suction seems to be only 1/2 of what is used to be. I feel the suction if I put my finger almost inside the hole of the sweeper, but I know it was much strong than this last year. Any ideas? Thanks.
    15x30 AG 48" deep Oval
    Hayward 1.5 Power Flow Max LX Pump, Hayward E Series Sand Filter
    Superior Spa (Made right here in Oklahoma) with 96 jets
    800 feet of 2 level decking around pool and spa overlooking beautiful pasture and pond.
    Our own backyard paradise

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuum is now only 1/2 as strong as it used to be??

Do you have valves on the equipment pad that control where water is drawn from that might be in a different position than usual?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have a regulator or relief on the vacuum line?
    Have you checked the hose for a pluggage?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, we have checked the hose for being plugged. My DH "reversed" the flow and it came out the sweeper part freely and pretty strong. No, we do not have valves on the equipment pad - it only draws from one place, which is the skimmer.
    15x30 AG 48" deep Oval
    800 feet of 2 level decking around pool and spa overlooking beautiful pasture and pond.

5. Back To Top    #5

No regular or relief on the vacuum line either.
    15x30 AG 48" deep Oval

6. Back To Top    #6

Is it possible that the vacuum hose leaks a little and is letting air get into the pump? Pumps don't draw as well when there is air getting into the system.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

That is what I am wondering...if the vacuum hose may leak. The hose is about 5-6 years old. IF the hose has a leak, could we tell it easily or see it?
    15x30 AG 48" deep Oval

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by gooselover
    That is what I am wondering...if the vacuum hose may leak. The hose is about 5-6 years old. IF the hose has a leak, could we tell it easily or see it?
    Sometimes you can. My sectioned hose was splitting on the ends and allowing air to enter the system. Had to replace it this year.

9. Back To Top    #9

Setup the hose and then go look at the pump skimmer basket, if there is obvious air in the pump you have a problem with the vacuum.

10. Back To Top    #10

I know for a few times, there was obvious "sucking" sounds coming from the skimmer. We replaced the ring around the skimmer and there is no sound coming from it now, but the suction or strength of the suction is still about 1/2. Truthfully, if you just put your hand flush on the sweeper, you feel nothing, you have to stick a finger up there to start to feel the suction, thus it is not picking up from the bottom very well at all!
    15x30 AG 48" deep Oval