Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA 0 FC 0 Green swamp!

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA 0 FC 0 Green swamp!

Chunks of algae floating at startup. I know I need to shock, but what is a safe amt of bleach to add with an undetectable cya? Put one puck in and approx 100ml of bleach tonight after vacuuming and brushing the sides, until I can get some cya tommorrow. Until it registers tho, how do I shock?

Thank you!
    16 x 32 AG Fanta Sea 13,500 gal/ Hayward Sand Filter/ 1 hp Hayward Power Flo LX Pump
    1 skimmer 1 main drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA 0 FC 0 Green swamp!

10 ppm of FC is shock level for zero CYA. I'd go a little higher than that but not too much. Why is your CYA undetectable? Is it your test kit or have you just added some?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Bama Rambler. My cya was low last year and my dh drained about 1/3 at the end of the season. I looked at the cya/chlorine chart and it only went as low as 20, so I didn't know what was safe. I didn't address the cya last yr since we hardly used it, but I'm going to. I bought my test kit 2 yrs ago, and using the cya reagent that came with it. Assuming it was still good.
    16 x 32 AG Fanta Sea 13,500 gal/ Hayward Sand Filter/ 1 hp Hayward Power Flo LX Pump
    1 skimmer 1 main drain

4. Back To Top    #4

Consider the test still good and your Shock level will be for zero ppm cya. You need to add enough CYA to get you to about 30 while shocking. It'll make it easier to hold some FC during the day.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, thank you. I will add enough cya tomorrow to bring it to 30 and continue to shock at 10 ppm, and retest the cya in 1 week.
    1 skimmer 1 main drain