Sand from filter.....?

Tebpac

May 22, 2011
State College,PA
My wife noticed the bottom of the pool had more dirt/sand in it. She cleaned it Wednesday or Thursday. We left town for a night and kept the filter off and came back today to find the dirt. Not all over the place but still very noticeable. So here's my question: Could this be sand coming from the filter? We changed the sand in the filter this year. All of the fingers in the bottom of the filter looked good. We did end up blowing some sand into the pool on start up but rerouted the input hose until it turned clear. Just wondering if we could have something wrong with the filter or need a heavier grain of sand? Used the recommended type of sand listed on the filter. (#20 Silica)

The sand in the filter is very coarse. Most pieces are almost 1mm2. This is way bigger than most sand you'd find in your yard or in sandbox type sand. They are probably so relatively large so they don't get churned out of the filter when backwashing.

We left town for a night and kept the filter off and came back today to find the dirt. Not all over the place but still very noticeable. So here's my question: Could this be sand coming from the filter?
Not with the pump not running. Have you retrieved any of it from the bottom to make sure it is gritty sand and not slippery dead algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.