Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clorox Storage

1. Back To Top    #1

Double Oak, TX

Clorox Storage

How long should I expect the strength of the chlorine in Clorox to last in the bottle? Where is the best place to store the chlorine? Summer can get hot in TX. Is storage temperature a factor in the age/strength ratio? I'd prefer to keep this stuff in the garage unless there is significant evidence to suggest indoors is better.

35K gallons, StaRite S8D110 DE Filter, Pentair IntelliFlo vs3050 pump, IG gunite

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Clorox Storage

Lifetime very much depends on temperature. Household bleach will last rather more than a year in the dark at 60 degrees, way way shorter at 130 degrees. There is a chart on this page towards the bottom.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

Hello neighbor.

I'll keep up to 3 jugs at a time in a Rubbermaid storage bench container on the porch. It holds up fine as long as it doesn't get too much direct sun on the storage box.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

OTOH, my garage gets up to 100 degrees when the sun hits that metal door in the summer and the garage keeps the heat long into the night. Then I keep the case of Clorox in the laundry room near the test kit. I sometimes switch to cal-hypo for chlorine if my CH level allows that if I am suspecting the bleach is heat damaged (after all those cases were in a truck traveling in the heat and a warehouse at some point). Outside is just a fraction of a jug of bleach, at any time.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.