I too am fighting BA for the first time

Jun 18, 2007
Spring, Texas
I too am fighting BA for the first time in 4 years. I am running a SWG and am in the middle of Siper Chlorination. I went ahead and brushed the spots with a wire algae brush and then added RAM Poly-algacide. I then brushed the entire pull down, and am about to go vaccume the pool. I also purchased "No More Problems" but have not added that, and not sure when would be a good time. I want to have the pool swimmable for Monday as the family will be spending all day outside. PH was high 8.2 and I added acid this morning. Already down to 7.8 last reading. TC was @ 4 and FC 0.

I do not want to use an algacide that has copper as I am affraid of staining. Should I use something different like RAM Blackout? I have PebbleSheen and even after brushing the spots, I have a feeling I am not geeting deep enough even with the wire brush. Very frustrating type of algae to have...I fought green algae after the hurricane came through a few years ago, but i was able to lick that quickly. I just want this stuff gone!

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Re: Black algae, low FC with a SWG

You have 220 posts and you're still buying and adding algaecides and stuff not needed in your pool :scratch: You should have been around enough by now to know that you need to get rid of the algae by shocking and then keep the FC on the higher side of normal.

Jay, with BA the trick is just keep the FC elevated and brush daily - several times a day if you can - to keep the "heads" knocked off so the chlorine can kill the insides. You don't need any other products at all, save your money and your energy for scrubbing :)

wardsntx said:
I also purchased "No More Problems" but have not added that, and not sure when would be a good time.
No Mor Problems (they leave out the "e" in "More") is sodium bromide and will turn your pool into a bromine pool, at least for a while. It is only useful when the CYA level is very high as its a way to get around that since bromine isn't moderated in its strength by CYA, but it's not a good long-term solution since if high CYA is the problem than lowering it by diluting the water is what is needed.

Anyway that product and the PolyQuat are irrelevant for black algae and you've been given the proper advice of brushing and high chlorine levels to kill it. However, more disturbing is that it shouldn't have developed in the first place if the pool was properly maintained. Is this something that only developed over the winter after the pool was closed?

The pool should be shocked with liquid chlorine. Running your cell at 100% (superchlorination) will only reduce it's life. Could you post up a full set of test results, especially FC, CC and CYA.

Test results as of today. Obviously the high chlorine amounts are burning off extremely fast. I added stabalizer (CYA) about a month ago and test results today show less than 20ppm. Here are the test results:

FC - 2.5
CC - 0
TC - 2.5
pH - 7.0
T/A - 100
CH - 380
CYA - below 20ppm

I added liquid chlorine this morning to bring up to shock ... aiming for 24ppm as I believe that is what I read in the past for a SWG pool. I am also adding additional stabalizer to hopefully hold FC levels up. Question is, how long do I need to keep chloring levels this high to wipe out any algae? I have been running my salt cell at 80% but it's obvious that the chlorine levels are not holding since there is an abscence of CYA. I will have to contribute this on my being gone the past 3 weeks and relying on my salt cell alone to keep the pool running smooth with the exception of my neibor adding acid for me. Texas has had some brutal sunny and hot weather, so I need to do a better job of monitoring the chlorine levels daily as opposed to every three days. Yep, I can admit I haven't given it the attention needed...now time to get my butt in gear and get the water chemistry fixed. (I will wait for the verbal beatings to come) :hammer: :blah: :rant:

Hi Jay, Been a long time :)

Shock level is based on CYA level. If we assumed 20 CYA for your pool now, shock level is about 10 to 12. For black algae, you have to keep brushing to knock the heads off so the chlorine can penetrate the shell. Use an algae brush.

When and how much CYA did you add?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey Butterfly,

I added CYA this morning... Two gallons of Liquid instant conditioner. I would have done the granular, but it is slow desolving, and since there is really no reading on my CYA, I figured getting the balance right was an immediate necessity in order to help keep the chlorine levels up at shock level. Over the course of the day, I added 700 oz of 6% liquid chlorine (bleach). I will do another chlorine test later this evening. I just realized my CYA reagent is all gone! Over to the store to get more R-0013.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.