Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I too am fighting BA for the first time

1. Back To Top    #1

I too am fighting BA for the first time

I too am fighting BA for the first time in 4 years. I am running a SWG and am in the middle of Siper Chlorination. I went ahead and brushed the spots with a wire algae brush and then added RAM Poly-algacide. I then brushed the entire pull down, and am about to go vaccume the pool. I also purchased "No More Problems" but have not added that, and not sure when would be a good time. I want to have the pool swimmable for Monday as the family will be spending all day outside. PH was high 8.2 and I added acid this morning. Already down to 7.8 last reading. TC was @ 4 and FC 0.

I do not want to use an algacide that has copper as I am affraid of staining. Should I use something different like RAM Blackout? I have PebbleSheen and even after brushing the spots, I have a feeling I am not geeting deep enough even with the wire brush. Very frustrating type of algae to have...I fought green algae after the hurricane came through a few years ago, but i was able to lick that quickly. I just want this stuff gone!

Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Jay
    36' x19' Freeform, 16' waterfall w/ groto and slide, 5' x 10' sundeck, 12" raised spa. Pentair IntelliTouch, Pentair IntelliFlo 4 x 160, Master Temp 400, IntelliChlor Chlorine generator, Aqua Blue PebbleSheen

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black algae, low FC with a SWG

You have 220 posts and you're still buying and adding algaecides and stuff not needed in your pool You should have been around enough by now to know that you need to get rid of the algae by shocking and then keep the FC on the higher side of normal.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: I too am fighting BA for the first time

Thanks for your input, though I may have been around long enough, I asked the question for a reason. Not sure why I had to take a razzing before you gave me the advice!
    Jay
    36' x19' Freeform, 16' waterfall w/ groto and slide, 5' x 10' sundeck, 12" raised spa. Pentair IntelliTouch, Pentair IntelliFlo 4 x 160, Master Temp 400, IntelliChlor Chlorine generator, Aqua Blue PebbleSheen

4. Back To Top    #4

Jay, with BA the trick is just keep the FC elevated and brush daily - several times a day if you can - to keep the "heads" knocked off so the chlorine can kill the insides. You don't need any other products at all, save your money and your energy for scrubbing
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by wardsntx
    I also purchased "No More Problems" but have not added that, and not sure when would be a good time.
    No Mor Problems (they leave out the "e" in "More") is sodium bromide and will turn your pool into a bromine pool, at least for a while. It is only useful when the CYA level is very high as its a way to get around that since bromine isn't moderated in its strength by CYA, but it's not a good long-term solution since if high CYA is the problem than lowering it by diluting the water is what is needed.

Anyway that product and the PolyQuat are irrelevant for black algae and you've been given the proper advice of brushing and high chlorine levels to kill it. However, more disturbing is that it shouldn't have developed in the first place if the pool was properly maintained. Is this something that only developed over the winter after the pool was closed?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

If I'm reading your post correctly, are you using the Superchlorinate function on the SWG to shock the pool?
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star VS900 (1.85 HP) pump, Hayward C3030 cartridge filter
    Nine Techno Solis 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

7. Back To Top    #7

Rcy,

That is correct...I also shocked the pool
    Jay

8. Back To Top    #8

The pool should be shocked with liquid chlorine. Running your cell at 100% (superchlorination) will only reduce it's life. Could you post up a full set of test results, especially FC, CC and CYA.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

Test results as of today. Obviously the high chlorine amounts are burning off extremely fast. I added stabalizer (CYA) about a month ago and test results today show less than 20ppm. Here are the test results:

FC - 2.5
    CC - 0
    TC - 2.5
    pH - 7.0
    T/A - 100
    CH - 380
    CYA - below 20ppm

I added liquid chlorine this morning to bring up to shock ... aiming for 24ppm as I believe that is what I read in the past for a SWG pool. I am also adding additional stabalizer to hopefully hold FC levels up. Question is, how long do I need to keep chloring levels this high to wipe out any algae? I have been running my salt cell at 80% but it's obvious that the chlorine levels are not holding since there is an abscence of CYA. I will have to contribute this on my being gone the past 3 weeks and relying on my salt cell alone to keep the pool running smooth with the exception of my neibor adding acid for me. Texas has had some brutal sunny and hot weather, so I need to do a better job of monitoring the chlorine levels daily as opposed to every three days. Yep, I can admit I haven't given it the attention needed...now time to get my butt in gear and get the water chemistry fixed. (I will wait for the verbal beatings to come)
    Jay

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi Jay, Been a long time

Shock level is based on CYA level. If we assumed 20 CYA for your pool now, shock level is about 10 to 12. For black algae, you have to keep brushing to knock the heads off so the chlorine can penetrate the shell. Use an algae brush.

When and how much CYA did you add?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Hey Butterfly,

I added CYA this morning... Two gallons of Liquid instant conditioner. I would have done the granular, but it is slow desolving, and since there is really no reading on my CYA, I figured getting the balance right was an immediate necessity in order to help keep the chlorine levels up at shock level. Over the course of the day, I added 700 oz of 6% liquid chlorine (bleach). I will do another chlorine test later this evening. I just realized my CYA reagent is all gone! Over to the store to get more R-0013.
    Jay