What is the rate of PH rise due to aeration?

Depends on lots of things. Mostly on the rate of aeration and the PH & TA levels. PH and TA we can quantify, but it is difficult to describe different levels of aeration, so hard to make specific comparisons.

Ok well I have a 1.5" pipe dropping water 3" into the pool with lots of small bubbles. I saw one post where it came up .4 in 24 hrs so was looking for a rough guide on how long I have to run the pump to see a change. Of course I can just wait and see :)

7.2 PH
130 TA
21000 Gallon Pool

As stated earlier, there are too many variables to give you a pat answer.

What I have noticed is that there's an inverse proportion between starting level and how long it takes to drop. Going from 100 to 90 will take lots longer than going from 180 to 150. The more vigorous you agitate, the faster it drops. If I run all the output through my spa, and run the booster, it looks like the thing is boiling. And then it spills over into the pool, and you can actually see bubbles rising from 4 or 5 feet down. I've lost 30ppm TA in 5 hours before, as an extreme example. It also goes faster the lower the pH is. So if you keep adding acid to keep it down close to 7, rather than waiting for it to climb back up to 7.6 or so, you can speed things along.

Richard, you lost the TA by adding acid. Aerating raises your ph back up without also raising your TA. Your post kind of makes it sound like you think it's the aeration that is lowering you TA. You're also speaking to the rate of TA decline where the OP was asking about the rate of pH rise.

carlscan26 said:
Richard, you lost the TA by adding acid. Aerating raises your ph back up without also raising your TA. Your post kind of makes it sound like you think it's the aeration that is lowering you TA. You're also speaking to the rate of TA decline where the OP was asking about the rate of pH rise.
I stand corrected.

I guess I just lumped everything together because I test everything at the same time.

JasonLion said:
carlscan26, the concepts are all linked together. PH rise from aeration goes a lot slower when the TA is low, which is why lowering TA takes longer when TA is low.

Absolutely get that it is inter-related. So does Richard and his post wasn't wrong nor was I saying he was wrong, just that it was a bit confusing vis-a-vis the original question. You actually just summarized the declining rate of change quite succinctly.

Richard320 said:
carlscan26 said:
I stand corrected.

I guess I just lumped everything together because I test everything at the same time.

No offense meant Richard. I know you get this - you've posted about it elsewhere and you're not at your first rodeo given your experience with lowering your CH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.