Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is the rate of PH rise due to aeration?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is the rate of PH rise due to aeration?

What is the rate of PH rise due to aeration?
    Glenn - Pickering, Ontario
    Circa 1980 Vinyl In-ground 80,000 Ltrs. ~ K2006 Kit ~ Hayward Pump/Navigator/Sand Filter ~ Raypak 255 Gas Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is the rate of PH rise due to aeration?

If I had to guess it would depend on the level of aeration. (the more jets pointed at the surface, the greater the rate of increase). Of course that's just a guess.
    Vinyl In Ground 36x18 (26,500 Gal.),Jacuzzi TRICLOPS TC300. Two speed pump by Hayward (.25-1.5HP). Hayward H series gas heater (400,000 BTU)

3. Back To Top    #3

Depends on lots of things. Mostly on the rate of aeration and the PH & TA levels. PH and TA we can quantify, but it is difficult to describe different levels of aeration, so hard to make specific comparisons.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok well I have a 1.5" pipe dropping water 3" into the pool with lots of small bubbles. I saw one post where it came up .4 in 24 hrs so was looking for a rough guide on how long I have to run the pump to see a change. Of course I can just wait and see

7.2 PH
    130 TA
    21000 Gallon Pool
    Glenn - Pickering, Ontario
    Circa 1980 Vinyl In-ground 80,000 Ltrs. ~ K2006 Kit ~ Hayward Pump/Navigator/Sand Filter ~ Raypak 255 Gas Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

As stated earlier, there are too many variables to give you a pat answer.

What I have noticed is that there's an inverse proportion between starting level and how long it takes to drop. Going from 100 to 90 will take lots longer than going from 180 to 150. The more vigorous you agitate, the faster it drops. If I run all the output through my spa, and run the booster, it looks like the thing is boiling. And then it spills over into the pool, and you can actually see bubbles rising from 4 or 5 feet down. I've lost 30ppm TA in 5 hours before, as an extreme example. It also goes faster the lower the pH is. So if you keep adding acid to keep it down close to 7, rather than waiting for it to climb back up to 7.6 or so, you can speed things along.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Richard, you lost the TA by adding acid. Aerating raises your ph back up without also raising your TA. Your post kind of makes it sound like you think it's the aeration that is lowering you TA. You're also speaking to the rate of TA decline where the OP was asking about the rate of pH rise.
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

carlscan26, the concepts are all linked together. PH rise from aeration goes a lot slower when the TA is low, which is why lowering TA takes longer when TA is low.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by carlscan26
    Richard, you lost the TA by adding acid. Aerating raises your ph back up without also raising your TA. Your post kind of makes it sound like you think it's the aeration that is lowering you TA. You're also speaking to the rate of TA decline where the OP was asking about the rate of pH rise.
    I stand corrected.

I guess I just lumped everything together because I test everything at the same time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    carlscan26, the concepts are all linked together. PH rise from aeration goes a lot slower when the TA is low, which is why lowering TA takes longer when TA is low.
    Absolutely get that it is inter-related. So does Richard and his post wasn't wrong nor was I saying he was wrong, just that it was a bit confusing vis-a-vis the original question. You actually just summarized the declining rate of change quite succinctly.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by carlscan26
    I stand corrected.

I guess I just lumped everything together because I test everything at the same time.
    No offense meant Richard. I know you get this - you've posted about it elsewhere and you're not at your first rodeo given your experience with lowering your CH.