Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Can I clean a cartridge filter using Oxyclean?

Can I clean a cartridge filter using Oxyclean?

We have 2 cartridge filters so that while cleaning one, the other can go right back in and keep working. My question is this:
    Will there be damage to the filter media if I soak it in some water with Oxyclean? Would there be a different way to use the Oxyclean if indeed it is safe to use on the cartridge?

One of the cartridges is looking pretty grey these days even though clear water runs out once all the gunk is rinsed out using the hose.

The actual pool water looks good, but when I open the filter housing, the water is not so good looking, kinda the same grey color as the filter
    @ Home Hot Tub Venture model 350 gal. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

Re: Can I clean a cartridge filter using Oxyclean?

You can use it, but it won't help anything other than the appearance very much. The best way to clean a cartridge filter is to soak overnight in a mixture of one cup of automatic disk washer detergent for every five gallons of water, then rinse throughly and replace in the filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Re: Can I clean a cartridge filter using Oxyclean?

Thanks.
    @ Home Hot Tub Venture model 350 gal. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!