Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Would this work to clean my AGP?

1. Back To Top    #1

Would this work to clean my AGP?

Hi all,

My Intex 15' pool came with a maintenance kit which I attach to my garden hose to clean the floor of the pool. It's useless. So I've given the problem some thought......would a pond vacuum do the job if I tied a muslin bag to catch the debris and kept the return hose in the pool, instead of throwing the water out of the pool. In other words the bag acts as a filter?

TIA
    Darren
    CERLAND OCTAGONAL ABOVE GROUND POOL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Would this work to clean my AGP?

It would work if the bag is fine enough to catch the stuff.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by darrenkarp
    Hi all,

My Intex 15' pool came with a maintenance kit which I attach to my garden hose to clean the floor of the pool. It's useless. So I've given the problem some thought......would a pond vacuum do the job if I tied a muslin bag to catch the debris and kept the return hose in the pool, instead of throwing the water out of the pool. In other words the bag acts as a filter?

TIA
    Darren
    poolbuster would probably work well, depends on the money you want to spend. i tried vacs with hoses and such, they were useless. you also could get a cheap above ground robot to do the job.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

problem with the above ground robots is all the models i've seen rely on the pump to create the vacuum and the Intex pump that came with my pool is barely sufficient.

5. Back To Top    #5

problem with the above ground robots is all the models i've seen rely on the pump to create the vacuum and the Intex pump that came with my pool is barely sufficient.
    not an electric robot.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Not sure what you mean by 'not an electric robot'

7. Back To Top    #7

Not sure what you mean by 'not an electric robot'

I was saying an electric robot wouldn't rely on the pump in your pool.
    something like this below.

http://www.doheny.com/poolsupplies/Robo ... eaner.html

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi all,

TIA
    Darren
    Hi Darren,

You are correct, throw the hose attahcment cleaner in the bin, it's all they are good for. Your pond vac may work, but here is what I have done for a few years now and it works superbly.

Buy a vaccuum hose at the pool or hardware store. If you have the 1.5" barb fitting on a recent Intex get a 1.5" hose. This is the barb fitting you hook the skimmer up too. In doing so, you are now able to vacuum using you filter/pump. A little labor but not hard and very well worth it. You can also purchase a vacuum head attachment, but in my experience they arent really worth it, but I get in to clean my pool. Use a skimmer/leaf net to get all the stuff you can readily see and then you are ready to vacuum. This is going to sound strange, but the next step is to swirl your pool water. I've done this for years and it really helps a lot. Get in and walk round and round the outer inside edge until the water is in a good whirlpool motion. Get out and let it settle for several minutes. Most of the debris will be carried to the center portion of the pool where it will be condensed into a much smaller area, reducing vacuum time and effort. You will be amazed how well this works if you try it. I use a broom to reach the bottom inner edge to pull out extra bits of junk and sand as well.

Start with a clean filter and I assure you, it won't wont take more than a half hour or so and you'll have excellent results.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem