2 Week Pool Owner

smithp

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2011
New owner for about 2 weeks. Recently bought the house. New owners installed new liner as condition of sale. They didn't run pump for several days. Water really murky. After daily brushing and suctioning, pool looks much better. Pool is cloudy, more noticable in deep end.

Took some pics but not sure how much you can see. Will have to find test kits I have read discussed here. Currently using strips left by previous owner.
Current readings are below:
Free chlorine still at 0 after 900 oz of chlorine bleach
HELP

[attachment=0:2suhxq52]DSCN0708 (618x640) (579x600) (560x580).jpg[/attachment:2suhxq52]

Attachments

• DSCN0708 (618x640) (579x600) (560x580).jpg
    DSCN0708 (618x640) (579x600) (560x580).jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 158
Welcome to TFP!

It looks like CYA is either very low or zero. When CYA is very low you lose all of your chlorine to sunlight each day. I suggest raising CYA to around 30 to 50.

Your TA looks to be high, so keep an eye on PH, which may tend to go up on its own.

Getting a real test kit will be a big help. In the meantime, try adding CYA and chlorine; and also do some reading in Pool School :)

smithp said:
Thanks. Out getting ph minus and cya now. Will read up at Pool U

If the pH result on the strip is accurate, it looks fine. I would not add any pH Minus yet until you can get an accurate TA reading. When you're ready to reduce your TA, you can use the pH Minus if you already have it or Muriatic Acid which 1/4 the cost. It is sold in the paint section of most hardware/big box stores. Use the Pool Calculator to lower your pH to 7.0-7.2 which will also lower your TA. Then aerate the water by pointing your return up so it breaks the surface to get the pH back to 7.5 leaving your TA lower.

smithp,

Stay focused on the two things you REALLY need to clear your pool.....Chlorine and CYA to protect the chlorine from the sun.

Read ABC's of Pool Water chemistry in Pool School and get chlorine in your pool.

Here is today's strip check. Would love some interrater reliability feedback on my readings. I read this as:
TH - 300
FC - 10+
pH - 8.0
TA - 80
CYA - 60-80

My epiphany....wait for it....New Strips...old strips (same brand, left by previous owner) still read 0 free chlorine

Attachments

• DSCN0709 (580x435).jpg
    DSCN0709 (580x435).jpg
    181 KB · Views: 101
The PH is presumably high because of the high FC level, so your numbers all look good. Is the water still cloudy? If the filter is working correctly, you should see a visible improvement in the water each day.

Water is clearing up. More algae in spots. Todays strip below. Not sure what to make of the pH. Pic is probably after 2 mins wet on the strip.

TF-100 has been ordered

Attachments

• DSCN0712 (580x435).jpg
    DSCN0712 (580x435).jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 59
You are so lucky to have found this site after only owning a pool for two weeks. I found it after six years. I can't standing thinking about how much money I have spent. And how I have struggled to maintain a clear pool. This year is my first TroubleFreePool.com season and my pool is beautiful and super easy to maintain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.