Yellow Algae bottom of pool otherwise Crystal clear

Apr 25, 2011
Ottawa Canada
The last few days, the weather has been cloudy, so I left the solar pool cover on without running Kreepy Krawly. Pulled the cover off this morning and saw the pool floor was green, but the water was crystal clear. However, as Kreepy was cleaning the floor the pool started to haze over(backwashed lots of green algae). So is it normal for algae to build up on the floor when the pool hasnt been vacuumed every day. Also, is this consistent with NOT running the pump overnight as the Intelliflo only runs long enough for 1 turnover a day.

I measured the FC to be 5 with Taylor DPD test before I put the Kreepy into the pool so I think chlorine hasn't dropped to near zero over the past few days.

FC 5
Cal 140
Alk 70
CYA 70
pH 7.4
salt 3400
T =78F
I guess the pool is considered to be bloomed now with yellow algae requiring shock to clear? Is there a POOL School topic on Daily Maintenance that would cover this?

I don't think that is live algae. Most likely it is some combination of dead algae, pollen, and dust that settled out of the water while the pump was off. Most likely you just need to let the Kreepy get as much as it can and let the filter catch the rest.

I could be wrong. If it is persistent, try doing an overnight FC loss test.

I've still got enough pollen floating around that when it settles out..........you brush it...........you'd swear it was algae. Don't panic just yet! Pantyhose as a skimmer sock works wonders.

Pollen...hmm. I wish?? I added 6@5L Wallmart bleach containers as per poolcalculator to get 20 PPM but I only measured 10ppm an hour after. The pool is a aqua-green in the deep end and a little milky now in the shallow end. I'll leave the pump running overnight with the SWG on and check it in the morning. Need to go to another Walmart as I cleaned out this one :)

Having done some more Googling, MA, seems to like some shade which now makes sense as the north facing walls of my pool always have the most green/yellow algae. I think keeping the pool cover on during the day, encourages the formation of MA, even with FC at 5 @CYA70. I am going to pull off the cover during the day and see how things progress. A Side benefit is the cover should last longer as it is spending less time in the sun :)

Yellow/mustard algae requires an FC that is around 15% of the CYA level to keep from growing which is why we recommend getting rid of it completely (including behind light niches, under ladders, in pool poles, etc.) so that one can maintain more usual chlorine levels closer to 7.5% of the CYA level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.