Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yellow Algae bottom of pool otherwise Crystal clear

1. Back To Top    #1

Yellow Algae bottom of pool otherwise Crystal clear

The last few days, the weather has been cloudy, so I left the solar pool cover on without running Kreepy Krawly. Pulled the cover off this morning and saw the pool floor was green, but the water was crystal clear. However, as Kreepy was cleaning the floor the pool started to haze over(backwashed lots of green algae). So is it normal for algae to build up on the floor when the pool hasnt been vacuumed every day. Also, is this consistent with NOT running the pump overnight as the Intelliflo only runs long enough for 1 turnover a day.

I measured the FC to be 5 with Taylor DPD test before I put the Kreepy into the pool so I think chlorine hasn't dropped to near zero over the past few days.

FC 5
    Cal 140
    Alk 70
    CYA 70
    pH 7.4
    salt 3400
    T =78F
    I guess the pool is considered to be bloomed now with yellow algae requiring shock to clear? Is there a POOL School topic on Daily Maintenance that would cover this?
    20x40 IGP Vinyl, 120,000L
    Hayward sand Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo (19gpm max)
    15 boxes(@4x10) of Enersol Solar Panels(S,E,W), Pentair solar controller
    AutoClear SWG, Kreepy Krawly
    Clear Vinyl Solar Cover, with solar reel, turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparking-oasis-t4147.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Yellow Algae bottom of pool otherwise Crystal clear

I don't think that is live algae. Most likely it is some combination of dead algae, pollen, and dust that settled out of the water while the pump was off. Most likely you just need to let the Kreepy get as much as it can and let the filter catch the rest.

I could be wrong. If it is persistent, try doing an overnight FC loss test.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I've still got enough pollen floating around that when it settles out..........you brush it...........you'd swear it was algae. Don't panic just yet! Pantyhose as a skimmer sock works wonders.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like pollen to me too...my robot has been going every day
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree that it is pollen. I am still getting lots of it in my pool, I can see it on the bottom every morning.
    18' x 36' inground vinyl liner 300# sand filter Blue Diamond Robot Cleaner BBB method

6. Back To Top    #6

Pollen...hmm. I wish?? I added 6@5L Wallmart bleach containers as per poolcalculator to get 20 PPM but I only measured 10ppm an hour after. The pool is a aqua-green in the deep end and a little milky now in the shallow end. I'll leave the pump running overnight with the SWG on and check it in the morning. Need to go to another Walmart as I cleaned out this one
    Hayward sand Filter
    Clear Vinyl Solar Cover, with solar reel, turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparking-oasis-t4147.html

7. Back To Top    #7

CHL is holding at 20-25 PPM this morning. Pool looks like the last stage my green spring swamp...I can see the drain but it will be another few days before its crystal clear.
    Hayward sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Having done some more Googling, MA, seems to like some shade which now makes sense as the north facing walls of my pool always have the most green/yellow algae. I think keeping the pool cover on during the day, encourages the formation of MA, even with FC at 5 @CYA70. I am going to pull off the cover during the day and see how things progress. A Side benefit is the cover should last longer as it is spending less time in the sun
    Hayward sand Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Yellow/mustard algae requires an FC that is around 15% of the CYA level to keep from growing which is why we recommend getting rid of it completely (including behind light niches, under ladders, in pool poles, etc.) so that one can maintain more usual chlorine levels closer to 7.5% of the CYA level.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"