Surging in pump

May 28, 2011
I seem to be having a significant amount of surging in my pool pump- I'm afraid to keep it running. The pressure gauge seems to never settle down. I've never opened this pool before- it was always done by my father. The pump is new- it was replaced last year. I seem to have a good prime on the pump, but the surge is preventing me from running it constantly. It ran fine last year when my dad hooked it up, but I think I might have missed something. Does anyone have any advice?? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP!

Surging means that the pump is failing to stay full primed, most likely because there is a fairly large air leak on the suction side. Check that there is enough water in the skimmer so no vortex forms that could draw air in, and look around for places where air could be getting into the system. Do you have any small hoses connected to the suction side pipes? They are common places where air could be getting in.

Okay, so I found the problem to the surging. I've been circulating the pool for awhile now, however; the pressure is still extremely high. It has gone so high as to trip the breaker for my electrical. It's never ending problems!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.