Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Constipated Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

GTA Ontario

Constipated Pool?

I had something interesting happen with the pool last weekend.

We had a few kids over for a swim. My son noticed that the force from the returns was weak, but I didn't think much of it. A few minutes later I noticed the waterfall had stopped flowing due to one of the kids holding the weir on the skimmer, effectively choking the pool pump.

Soon after she released the weir the pump primed and the pool went cloudy.

My wife noticed the water from the returns was WHITE - it looked like milk was coming out of them! A few moments later everything went back to normal.

The day before I had added about 7lbs of baking soda to get the alkalinity up. I mixed about 3.5 lbs at a time with 5gal of pool water, mixed it into a slurry and dumped it in the pool. Is it possible that I put too much in at once and it built up in the plumbing , constipating the pool? I think the abrupt on/off of the water may have cleared the pipes.

I tested the water after this episode and everything checked out normal - including the elevated alkalinity I was looking for and everything as been normal ever since.

This pool is entertaining in way I'd never imagined.
    40,000L (10,500G) 17 x 30 Pioneer "Trinity" Vinyl IG
    DuoClear 60 SWG, Hayward TriStar 1HP Pump, Club Pro SM2506T Sand Filter, Hayward H-Series Heater, Deactivated Nature2 Purifier, Zodiac G3 Cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Constipated Pool?

Probably just "burped" out some of that baking soda from the filter.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Constipated Pool?

That was probably a mild case of calcium clouding from locally elevated PH/TA levels, though it is impossible to be sure without a full set of test results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School