help... trying to replace pump seals

ethany

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Trenton NJ
I unbolted the seal plate from the motor and noticed the corrosion was so bad (salt water gen.) that the threaded part in the seal plate that the screws attach to broke loose, the plastic just crumbled.

I purchased the new seals thinking the leak last year was because they needed to be replaced but now since it doesn't make a good connection between the seal plate and the motor that was the problem.

I was thinking of replacing the seal plate but now as you see in pic. the motor housing that connects the two is deteriorateing (spelling).

The motor is fine but I am thinking I might need to buy a whole new pump.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Whisperflo Pump Seal Plate.jpg
    Whisperflo Pump Seal Plate.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Whisperflo Seal Plate Closeup.jpg
    Whisperflo Seal Plate Closeup.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 81
  • Whisperflo Pump Motor Housing.jpg
    Whisperflo Pump Motor Housing.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 81
If it was my pump, I'd get a new pump. That can all be fixed up, but it will take some skill and a new seal plate. By the time you have everything back up and running you will have spent enough to make a pump upgrade pretty attractive. Now might be a good time to switch to a two speed pump, which will pay you back in saved electricity.

If I went with one of the pumps you recommended I would go from 1 1/2hp pump to a 1 hp pump. Would this be ok? Would I lose the money saved on the time it takes to turn the water over with a 1 hp opposed to a 1 1/2 hp?

Going with a smaller pump is actually a good idea. And making it a 2-speed is even better. The 1hp will provide plenty of flow when you need to vacuum, backwash, etc and running it longer on low will circulate it and save you more money.

sorry one last question.....since I am replacing it because the corrosion was probably due to the salt water, what can be done to make this one last longer. The motor worked fine.

The pump is about 5-6 years old.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well The questions keep coming sorry but needs to be asked. Last year I purchased a digital pool timer but it does not do variable speed. Can I use this timer and set it for just low speed and when I need high speed for vacume or backwash I could do manual override?

I also purchased a blue diamond robot this past winter. Will that be a concern with these scenarios?

The swcg won't be a problem for the whisperflo pump and since it's a 2-speed and not a variable speed the timer will work just as you said. Just time the low and run the high speed manually when ever you need to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.