Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: help... trying to replace pump seals

1. Back To Top    #1

help... trying to replace pump seals

I unbolted the seal plate from the motor and noticed the corrosion was so bad (salt water gen.) that the threaded part in the seal plate that the screws attach to broke loose, the plastic just crumbled.

I purchased the new seals thinking the leak last year was because they needed to be replaced but now since it doesn't make a good connection between the seal plate and the motor that was the problem.

I was thinking of replacing the seal plate but now as you see in pic. the motor housing that connects the two is deteriorateing (spelling).

The motor is fine but I am thinking I might need to buy a whole new pump.

Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: help... trying to replace pump seals

Also...its a 1 1/2 hp whisperflow. I have a 20,000 gallon fiberglass pool, if I need to replace what do you recommend?
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights

3. Back To Top    #3

If it was my pump, I'd get a new pump. That can all be fixed up, but it will take some skill and a new seal plate. By the time you have everything back up and running you will have spent enough to make a pump upgrade pretty attractive. Now might be a good time to switch to a two speed pump, which will pay you back in saved electricity.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

can you recommend a two speed pump for my situation? 20,000 gallon inground.

5. Back To Top    #5

The Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-3 (115 volt) and WFDS-4 (230 volt) are both good choices, unless you have a waterfall, fountain, spa, or other water feature you haven't mentioned.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

If I went with one of the pumps you recommended I would go from 1 1/2hp pump to a 1 hp pump. Would this be ok? Would I lose the money saved on the time it takes to turn the water over with a 1 hp opposed to a 1 1/2 hp?

7. Back To Top    #7

Going with a smaller pump is actually a good idea. And making it a 2-speed is even better. The 1hp will provide plenty of flow when you need to vacuum, backwash, etc and running it longer on low will circulate it and save you more money.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

How much longer would you say? I ran the 1 1/2hp pump last year 8-10 a day. Lots of pine needles from neighbor yard.

9. Back To Top    #9

If you ran it on low for 24 hours a day you'll still save over the power you were using.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

sorry one last question.....since I am replacing it because the corrosion was probably due to the salt water, what can be done to make this one last longer. The motor worked fine.

The pump is about 5-6 years old.

11. Back To Top    #11

Well The questions keep coming sorry but needs to be asked. Last year I purchased a digital pool timer but it does not do variable speed. Can I use this timer and set it for just low speed and when I need high speed for vacume or backwash I could do manual override?

I also purchased a blue diamond robot this past winter. Will that be a concern with these scenarios?

12. Back To Top    #12

The swcg won't be a problem for the whisperflo pump and since it's a 2-speed and not a variable speed the timer will work just as you said. Just time the low and run the high speed manually when ever you need to.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Is that a scorpion in those pics?
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

14. Back To Top    #14

The corrosion was due to the pump getting wet all the time, not because it was a salt pool. Either something else was dripping water onto the pump all the time, or you had a bad shaft seal.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks for all ur help. I bought the whisperflow 2 speed 1 hp. Got it online for $600 include shipping.

I live in NJ so I doubt its a scorpion probably a regular spider.

16. Back To Top    #16

Hate to just through a pump out that works. Think it could be sold?

17. Back To Top    #17

I'd hang on to it as a spare.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html