Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opening Pool...Day 25, Work Your Magic ProTeam's MM

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening Pool...Day 25, Work Your Magic ProTeam's MM

We didn't cover our pool last winter because we live in an extremely open, windy area. The winter before the wind ripped the cover off even after using deluxe clips as an added measure to keep the cover on. Was really a pain to deal with in the dead of winter. So I figured I skip that this time and just deal with cleaning up the pool when the time comes. BIG mistake! Now I have an even bigger headache to deal with.

Pool is greener than my grass. I fished out a couple frogs this morning, no telling what else might be in there. Here are my numbers.

FC 0
    pH 8.2 or maybe a tad higher (test won't read any higher)
    TA 100
    Cal 70
    CYA 0? (I'm guessing, waiting for my refills to arrive. Was 30 last summer, then drained below return to close without covering and just topped back off. It was 0 when I opened last summer, so I'm assuming it's the same this time.)

I know I need to lower my pH before I begin shocking. I've never had to do that before and can't remember how to add the MA. Pool Calc said I need to add 28 oz. to go from 8.2 to 7.4 but where do I pour it? In front of the return or slowly around the pool? I did a search and can't find the info. Also, how long after that do I need to wait to start shocking? I know I have to add CYA, just didn't know if I should wait until I get the pH fixed first or what.

Does it sound like I'm headed in the right direction? .......lower pH, add CYA, then shock. I know I need to brush, brush, brush then brush some more but I was going to wait until the water clears a bit since I can't see anything. I was planning to vac then too. I re-read "How to Turn a Green Swamp into a Sparkling Oasis" and hopefully I'm not forgetting anything.

Thanks for your help!

*Edited to change MA amount, don't know what I was looking at when I put 17 oz.

**Edited multiple times for title
    24' Round 52" High AG, Waterway 125 SF Pro Clean 2HP, 2 SPD Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover Jr. /TF-100 Test Kit/ BBB - Ex Baqua User

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please help me clear my swamp

Pour it in front of a running return and you can start shocking after about 30 minutes.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Please help me clear my swamp

Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Opening Pool....Lower pH, Add CYA, Shock???

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie4136
    We didn't cover our pool last winter because we live in an extremely open, windy area. The winter before the wind ripped the cover off even after using deluxe clips as an added measure to keep the cover on. Was really a pain to deal with in the dead of winter. So I figured I skip that this time and just deal with cleaning up the pool when the time comes. BIG mistake! Now I have an even bigger headache to deal with.

Pool is greener than my grass. I fished out a couple frogs this morning, no telling what else might be in there. Here are my numbers.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

LOL, it wouldn't surprise me! Hey, at least he's not a snake! I was afraid to stick my arm down in there. Started adding bleach at 2:30 yesterday afternoon, tested every 30 min. until dark bringing back to shock level each time and back at it again this morning....trying to hit it hard! Tried to upload pics, but they don't show up. Maybe files are too large?

6. Back To Top    #6

Here are pics so far. Starting to get discouraged because I haven't seen much progress since yesterday morning. I've been checking about every 30 minutes (except overnight) since Saturday and bringing back to shock level.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

Today....I know it will get there, guess I just need some POP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Re: Opening Pool....Pics added

Pop is the biggest thing you need right now. You should see progress each day. If you don't, post back and we'll give oyu a feww things to try.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Finally got all my CYA dissolved in a sock and tested. Seemed to be around 32ish. I've been shocking to 12, should I increase it to maybe 13?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie4136
    Finally got all my CYA dissolved in a sock and tested. Seemed to be around 32ish. I've been shocking to 12, should I increase it to maybe 13?
    24 hours after the CYA has dissolved, increase your shock level to the amount of CYA increase. We recommend that you wait about a week to retest, as it can take several days up to a week to fully show up on tests.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Just got the ladder out, threw Rover in, didn't run 3 minutes and bag was full of Shrek poop. Now I see why I'm not making much progress. Looks like Rover will be taking several dips for the next few days! I just wish the temps would cool down a bit outside.

12. Back To Top    #12

It looks like you are making great progress!

13. Back To Top    #13

Ran Rover several times. Finally made a trip to the store to get a new brush, so started brushing today. Any chance it will be clear by next Tuesday?

14. Back To Top    #14

Have you passed the OCLT?
    Post a set of test results from today.
    I think you should be ok by Tuesday if you keep after it, but only time will tell.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

No, water is not clear yet...still can't see the bottom.

16. Back To Top    #16

FC 14
    CC 1.5
    TC 15.5
    pH 7.2
    T/A 120
    CH 80
    CYA 35

17. Back To Top    #17

You've still got a little ways to go but if you keep after it hard it should be much better by then. I'd bump the shock up to about 20 when you add and that way it'll still be above shock level when you test and add again.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

X2 on the 20 ppm shock level. And keep removing the organic debris if you have not already done so, it will eat up your chlorine... Keep on it, you are well on your way, just keep that fc up so the algae doesnot have a fighting chance!
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

19. Back To Top    #19

Re: Opening Pool....Day 11

Day 11 and still not seeing much change. Still can't see the bottom. Could it be because my filter just has so much work to do with cleaning all the dead algae out or is it possible I could have other problems? Can't tell if I'm headed backwards, the water seems darker and not as milky looking (not talking about the shaded side, sun hasn't hit it yet this morning).

20. Back To Top    #20

Re: Opening Pool....Day 11

It didn't get mucky overnight, it won't clear overnight.

If the picture's accurate, I'd say you're on the threshold. Very soon, you'll go to bed to cloudy water and wake up the clear. It's like running the FC test. Drop after drop, no change, then poof! Total change.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast