CYA, TA, PH advice

spiazza

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 20, 2009
Berkeley Heights, NJ
Here are my numbers:

pH = 7.0 (aeration for 12 hours - pointing return jet upward to create bubbles)
CYA = 0 (Test shows zero - 12 hours after adding 4 lbs of Leslie Conditioner).
TA = 100
TC = 4
FC = 4
CC = 0

A few questions:
1) I would like to raise my Ph and lower TA. Is the best way to accomplish this with constant aeration?

2) I would obviously like to raise my cya to around 70 (swg user). I didn't expect to see CYA results immediately. Should I had more stabilizer? The pool calc says I should put in 11lbs. I don't want to add too much for fear of having too much and needing to drain (been through that 2 yrs ago).

Thanks

I am not at all surprised that the CYA has not shown up on the test yet. It can take up to a week for CYA to register on the test. And besides, 4 lbs of CYA in 21,000 gallons is only going to raise CYA by 23. I would go ahead and add another 8 lbs, give it a week and then test the CYA level and adjust from there.

Is there any reason you are in a rush to lower TA? TA at 100 isn't too bad, and you can simply lower PH to 7.2 every time it get to 7.8 until the TA comes down more. If you are in a hurry, the best thing to do is lots of aeration.

No rush to lower the TA just figured I'd get it a litte better since I opened the pool a few days ago.

I'll add the remainder of the 4lbs i have left in my cya bucket and then pick up another bucket. The instructions say to mix the cya with warm water and then place in the skimmer. It is ok to pour it in the skimmer before mixture is fully disolved?

Yes, it alright to add without fully dissolving. It is nearly impossible to get it to fully dissolve. Remember to pour very very slowly so the skimmer basket doesn't completely clog up and to not backwash/clean the filter for a week.

CYA has a tendency to clog up the skimmer basket if you don't add it extremely slowly. Its faster to pour into a sock and simply toss the sock in the skimmer than it is to sit there for ten or twenty minutes adding a little more every minute or two.

After testing my numbers today, it appears my PH is between 6.8 and 7.0. TA is 100. Like I said earlier, I have been aerating using the return jets for a couple days. I know it can take a while for aeration to work.

Is it best to stick with the aeration method for raising the PH or should i turn to borax to raise the number quicker, although this will raise TA as well (something i don't want to do)

Are you running the SWG? that should provide enough aeration to raise the PH on it's own. Is there a solar cover in place? This can prevent outgassing which keeps the PH down. If you don't want to raise the TA then don't add anything to increase the PH except air :) adding enough Borax to reach 7.2 would raise your TA to almost 120.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, I'm running the SWG. The solar cover has been on since yesterday afternoon (trying to warm it up for this afternoon). I did expose the raised return so the bubbles and air can escape. Guess aeration is the the key. I'll stick with it. Thanks for your advise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.