Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best New Heater advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Best New Heater advice

Getting a New NG above ground pool heater. I'm new to heaters but have had pools 30+ years. So many brands and models. I'm thinking 150k BTU will be plenty. Any personal preferences on brand and model? I kind of like the Hayward low Nox systems. Any advice or storys Please!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Best New Heater advice

You didn't say how large your pool was. As a general rule it is best to get the largest heater you can, typically 400k BTU. Pools need a huge amount of heat and it is nice to be able to heat them relatively quickly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm sorry, it's 24 round.

4. Back To Top    #4

my 100k btu minimax does about 1 degree/hr with the solar cover on. Pretty sure that's a fairly accurate guess

I like Jason's method better though and I've seen him state before that the 400k will heat faster and then maintaining would require it to run less.

More gas for less time = less gas for more time, I agree with that.
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]