Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: bleach vs liq. shock

  1. Back To Top    #1

    bleach vs liq. shock

    hi

    around here I can get 1.5gals of 6% bleach for $2.5 or 1 gal of 12.5% shock for $4. Do the numbers it looks like shock is a little cheaper, do the sock have anything in that is bad as it does not have an ingredents label

    thanks
    gary
    thanks
    gary

    24ft x 54" aquasphere mission agp, cartridge filter, 1.5 hp hayward, TF-100, BBB method, pool install July 2010

  2. Back To Top    #2

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,083

    Re: bleach vs liq. shock

    It is identical except for the strength. Use it if it works out cheaper....there is nothing bad in it.

    FWIW, "Shock" is a process you do to your pool and is not a product.....pool stores will usually tell you otherwise.

    You can't buy "shock" but you can shock your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  3. Back To Top    #3
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,879

    Re: bleach vs liq. shock

    Your bleach is 0.00217 per ppm*oz, while the "shock" is 0.0025 per ppm*oz, so the "shock" is more expensive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Re: bleach vs liq. shock

    Thanks guys.
    think I will go with the "shock" labeled becuase of less bottles to handle, yes kind of funny how they call the product that but it is actually a process

    thanks
    gary
    thanks
    gary

    24ft x 54" aquasphere mission agp, cartridge filter, 1.5 hp hayward, TF-100, BBB method, pool install July 2010

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Re: bleach vs liq. shock

    I've seen the yellow colored "shock" that is 10% and the other 90% is "other ingredients," I know it would be bad business to put 90% water, but just to be clear there isn't usually anything other than chlorine and water, right?
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,052

    Re: bleach vs liq. shock

    It probably is 90% water. The higher the concentration of chlorine, the shorter the half life on the shelf, so there is some validity for the lower concentrations.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

  7. Back To Top    #7
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,879

    Re: bleach vs liq. shock

    The inert ingredients are mostly water, with some salt, and a tiny bit of lye. The water and salt are harmless, and in most brands the amount of lye is so small you can ignore it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Re: bleach vs liq. shock

    Quote Originally Posted by greif
    hi

    around here I can get 1.5gals of 6% bleach for $2.5 or 1 gal of 12.5% shock for $4. Do the numbers it looks like shock is a little cheaper, do the sock have anything in that is bad as it does not have an ingredents label

    thanks
    gary

    Where are you able to buy a gallon of 12.5% for that price??
    34000 inground gunite / plaster pool 6 years old with spa. De filter system using fiber clear.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •