Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Almost a newbie, test results

1. Back To Top    #1

Almost a newbie, test results

Hi,
    1st off I want to thank all of the people that run and help here at TFP!
    I had to become a lifetime member as the thought of NOT having this forum to help me was frightening.
    I bought a cheap Intex 15X48 beginning last year and got pool stored all season, did nothing but spend $$ and chase problems (they had me at 5575 gals -way over! more like 4350 with the help of this site).

Didn't know about the TPS kit discount first as I was so excited to get one and get my testing started!
    With the mindset of not going through all the **** last season started with a total fresh fill.
    Being too excited I didn't comprehend a lot about the relationship with CYA and FC and lost it to algae bloom 3 weeks in.
    With a lot of reading and slowing down to make sure I learn more from here and not do this again. I went for about 4-5 days with LC (for shock only, 12.5%) starting at 22 swinging down to 16 ppm (while at work) and getting my cya level up added with lots of vacuuming and brushing.
    I have what I think are pretty good test results other than the FC too high coming down from shock. I was a little high during shocking but the blistering heat (90's), constant sun, and algae was really using my FC up as I was gone to work 9-10 hours during the day.
    My overnight FC loss test was 1PPM (19 to 18) and started with 0 CC and still have 0 CC.

5/28/11 8:15am

FC: 18
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.4
    TA: 100
    CH: 260
    CYA: 38-40
    Temp: 84F
    Water has just a little haze, but clear enough to see the small folds in the vinyl floor (not a perfect self install) on the bottom.
    Any advice needed? I'll also want to use Borates of 40-50 when I have a good track record in a couple of weeks of perfect pool. I want that 'SPARKLE' back!

Now looking for advice to upgrade a pump/filter system that hopefully not cost as much as the pool itself cost? Any idea's as I can make just about anything hook up and work as I'm a mechanic/machinist by trade.

One trick I used was to buy 3 filters and wash and change them 2-3 times a day, with storing them in a bucket of chlorine at 35-40 ppm mix, as I deathly afraid of reintroducing any algae to the pool by reusing washed filters.
    Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Almost a newbie, test results

It looks like you are doing well. Give the filter a little while to really polish the water, and for a great sparkle adding borates really helps.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Recheck that pH when the FC comes down below 10. And now is the time to keep brushing. Whatever uglies are left in there are tough, you need to brush away their protective biofilm.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you!
    I'll not stop at brushing and changing filters out!
    I found this locally...
    http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/for/2406546328.html
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    TF-100 test kit
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

supertune,

Welcome to the forum Check your PM's. Upper left hand corner will say "1 new message"
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Here's how the pool party went this weekend!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

More...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Cute kids and VERY clear water.....that's a nice combination!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School