Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about calculating my GPM

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about calculating my GPM

Pool newb here, so please excuse my newbness. I thought it would be wise to have a " reasonably accurate" idea of my GPM and target on water turns. Without getting too complicated, will I be able to calculate my GPM with my filter gauge and by adding a vacuum gauge on the pump? I've read so much on this subject my head hurts, and I'm still confused.

Thanks
    Viking Laguna 14K IG , Smart Pure SWCG, SwimClear C5520 Cartridge Filter, TriStar 1.5HP, SmartControl PLP4 controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about calculating my GPM

There is no real need to know your GPM, but if you want to try and figure it out, please tell us your filter pressure, your pipe size and length, how many pipe runs there are in each direction from the pool to the equipment pad, and if possible the vacuum pressure at the winterizing drain on the pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Apparently I'm even more confused than I thought. I was curious about how many times I was cycling the water in relation to pump run time (6 to 8 hrs), and thought GPM was something I needed to know.
    Viking Laguna 14K IG , Smart Pure SWCG, SwimClear C5520 Cartridge Filter, TriStar 1.5HP, SmartControl PLP4 controller.

4. Back To Top    #4

You can guess at your run time as a hint to how long you need to run your pump each day, but the real test is looking at the water. Run the pump a little longer than you think you need and see what the water looks like, then try a week at a shorter run time and if everything is still great try a shorter run time still.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School