Dolphin Deluxe 4 problem Just purchased

May 27, 2010
Just bought the Dolphin Deluxe 4, yesterday, Opened the pool, bottom covered with alge. I vaccumed to waste and cleaned most of it up. Put the dolphin in, and sometimes it would run for a few minutes then just stop. I cleaned out the filter bag several times, put it back in the pool, and it would not run. I made sure the setting was correct on the handles and the base. Again removed it from the pool cleaned the bag and did the same thing. The manual that came with it is worthless. Any ideas? Did I happen to get a bad unit? Is there any restrictions on pool chemical imbalance for this to run?

If you have algae, you need to clear that up by shocking before you try to vacuum the pool with your Dolphin. It's going to require that you shock the pool and manually vacuum the pool until it starts clearing.

The Dolphin is just gettting clogged up with the algae.

Toph151 said:
Just bought the Dolphin Deluxe 4, yesterday, Opened the pool, bottom covered with alge. I vaccumed to waste and cleaned most of it up. Put the dolphin in, and sometimes it would run for a few minutes then just stop. I cleaned out the filter bag several times, put it back in the pool, and it would not run. I made sure the setting was correct on the handles and the base. Again removed it from the pool cleaned the bag and did the same thing. The manual that came with it is worthless. Any ideas? Did I happen to get a bad unit? Is there any restrictions on pool chemical imbalance for this to run?

my guess would be the brushes are slipping on the algae and that is causing it to stop.

I too have a dolphin pool vac. (blue, yellow and pink I believe). It worked just fine last year. It was working fine this year. The pool was opened less than a week ago but all the alge is dead as far as I know and the water is balanced (just had it tested yesterday. Today I noticed that my dolphin is floating on the top. I cleaned and rinsed out the bag and put it back in the water. It would not sink. Had the husband come and check on it, he could not get it to sink either. He turned it on and it ran for a few seconds (fan spinning) and then stopped. Then it fan would turn on again for a few seconds and then stop again. Now it appears to be DOA. Any ideas?

I had called Leslie pools, they said the Dolphin would not work in 66 degree water. So I took it out. Waited a few days, all algie was gone, only some little leaves and debris on the bottom. Took the pool temp and it was 75. Put the Dolphin back in last night and it ran..... well it ran for about 10 minutes. Stopped and just sat at the bottom of the pool. Filter bag was completely clean.

Called Leslie pools again, they said to bring it in and they would check it. I said well for 900 i want my money back. Not sure if I should try another Dolphin or try another cleaner.

Bama Rambler said:
If you have algae, you need to clear that up by shocking before you try to vacuum the pool with your Dolphin. It's going to require that you shock the pool and manually vacuum the pool until it starts clearing.

The Dolphin is just gettting clogged up with the algae.

I did vaccum to waste and removed all algie. Bag was cleaned each time. Still having issue with not being able to run longer then a few minutes. Pool temp is 75 degrees and no sign of algie.

i bought a used dolphin deluxe 4 last year and LOVE it. i haven't vacuumed with suction since. i just drop the dolphin in and push the button. depending on how much debris is on the bottom i run it 2 or 3 times before bringing it up for a cleaning. the pattern is a bit random - but after 2 or 3 cycles it covers the whole pool from waterline to drain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.