Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Panel recommendation

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Panel recommendation

Hello,

I am planning to install solar panels for my inground pool. Does anyone have any recommendations? Or
    which ones to avoid? Seems like sungrabber is pretty popular judging from the posts that I have read.
    How difficult was the installation? I have read the sungrabber manual and it doesn't look too bad. Reading
    it is one thing but actually installing it is another. Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Are you looking to do it yourself project or have them installed?

I am going with the installer since I am putting them on my roof. I wish to reduce my risks to water leaks. (Thus I am counting on the installer to do a great job...) Plus my house is two stories, I hate heights...
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Rainman:

I installed my own solar panels. I would stay away from the sun grabber, they have a lower btu output them most and the Fafco 4 x 20 have the highest output of all Panels. They are easy as heck to install. I would highly recommend getting a solar controller. On days when I would normally not even think of turning the solar on, the sensors detect the water in the panels to be +4 above the pool and turns it on. Likewise for when we think its hot out and in reality we would be putting cooler water into the pool. You will find this an easy job if you are at all a DIY'r.

Rik

4. Back To Top    #4
    We have the Fafco Solar Bears and find them to be much better than the Sungrabbers we previously had. The Sungrabbers seemed to be more "brittle" and did not have the ability to adjust the flow inline - the Solar Bears do have that on each panel, they are of a much more pliable AND heavier material, came with better hardware as well. JMHO
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Thanks for everybody's input. I appreciate your feedback. After reviewing this website, it appears to me that Fafco is one of the manufacturers of solar panels that Sungrabber sells.

http://www.solar-discounters.ca/products/sunsaver.htm

Pooladdict, NWMNMom - can you tell me where you bought your panels from? Thanks in advance.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Hi Rainman:

I bought mine from my local PB, but I will be adding one more this spring, bringing my total to 240 Sq Ft. I paid, now dont panic, its canadian $, 450 for mine, but with our strong canadian $ now, I will be going the online route an paying for shipping. I see the site you are on runs around $300...sounds like a good deal to me, I would go for the plus if you dont have a solar controller, if not, I would suggest one strongly. They are amazing at how they control the panels during even cloudy days.

Rik