Pump humming; not turning

May 27, 2011
I have a 3 year-old Hayward Powerflow-max SP-1510-Z1-XEHC pump on my 18 foot above ground pool and a DE filter. I replaced a hose today and had the skimmer and discharge plugs in. I had everything hooked back up and was ready to go. Had my wife turn on the pump. The pump sounded like it needed priming. When I checked it, I noticed the suction hose was sucked tight. I realized immediately that I forgot to remove the plugs and yelled to my wife to shut off the pump. The pump ran for about 10 seconds or so. I took the plugs out. The skimmer plug I had to remove with a wrench due to the vacuum the pump had put on it. After removing the plugs. We tried starting the pump again. This time, the motor started making a humming sound but did not rotate the pump. I rotated the impellar and it appears to rotate freely. Any ideas what is likely the cause.

A few things can cause this. The most common is the "Start Capacitor" which is located on the back of the pump motor. These are what jump start the motor. Since the pump is 3 years old, I am sure the gauge of the wire that it hooks to is fine. If you want to see if it is the capacitor, carefully turn it on and while it is humming, spin the shaft from the back. Usually this will jump start the motor. But in all honesty, I'd bet on the Start Capacitor. It looks something like this http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/314IPLfI0vL.jpg . If this model does not have one, it's time to replace the pump or motor. Usually the bolts that hold the pump housing to the motor rust and break on the inside, at least these pumps are not too expensive. Well,compared to In-Ground models.

Mine started doing this as well. I was going to put the pump on a timer, but will just keep it running on low. To restart the pump when it just humms, I have a handy little hand trowel sitting right there. A little tap on the back, the pump starts right back up....

This is from my recent research into a similar issue:
http://wetheadmedia.com/hayward-super-p ... /#comments
capacitor

A simple check is to charge the capacitor then put your 20 dollar voltmeter across the terminals. This will tell you if the cap is open or shorted inside as there will be no voltage reading. Discharge the cap and put ohm setting of meter across terminals. no deflection, open, deflection but does not drop off, shorted. deflection and then slow drop to zero it is good.

CAPACITOR: The Capacitor is the battery for your pool motor. It provides the energy needed while starting, to reach 3450 rpm quickly. Replace your capacitor when the shaft can be spun freely with a wrench or by hand, and when powering the motor, you hear a 'buzz' or a 'hum' from the motor, but no impeller movement. Replace your old capacitor with an exact match to the 'MFD' number on the new capacitor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-cVgpz7GYQ&NR=1

Shorelover said:
This is from my recent research into a similar issue:

A simple check is to charge the capacitor then put your 20 dollar voltmeter across the terminals. This will tell you if the cap is open or shorted inside as there will be no voltage reading. Discharge the cap and put ohm setting of meter across terminals. no deflection, open, deflection but does not drop off, shorted. deflection and then slow drop to zero it is good.

Be careful not to touch the metal connectors on the capacitor once it is charged, it can give you quite a jolt if it's not shorted. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.