Spill-Less Clorox not real bleach

ChrisL

Apr 3, 2007
I bought several gallons of Clorox that was labeled "Spill-less" in bottles that look just like Clorox. There is nothing on it that says it contains sodium hypochlorate, it says in small print it is a "patented formula," it says "not a disinfectant" and when I put some in a small fountain I have, it foamed. This was after I put two jugs in my pool.
Does anyone know what's in this stuff?
Chris

Do not use this product. It not only contains less bleach than you want, but has more lye in it so causes the pH to rise more than you want, and it has other compounds (as listed in the link in the post above) that you don't want. Though not a disaster, it's not the type of bleach you want to use for your pool. In addition to the effect on pH rise, you may find that the water foams more if you use this bleach.

It would be nice if Clorox would more clearly label the product. It is not labelled as Bleach Alternative or something else that would indicate it is not simply sodium hypochlorite in a better bottle (which I stupidly thought it was), but "bleach" and it was right next to the fragranced bleaches at Walmart. There was no other plain Clorox there. Oh well, I have a couple of jugs for the laundry room.

Made the same mistake last week! Asked TBH to grab a half dozen jugs of generic bleach, but they only had two, so she got Clorox instead. (2 regular and 2 "Splashless". I used one of them and all of a sudden sudsy film on the water. :grrrr: Couldn't for the life of me determine what caused it. I thought something must have spilled on the solar blanket over the winter. The regular and Splashless are almost identical at a casual glance. When I saw the "Splashless" I originally thought it had something to do with the spout. Thought that was pretty stupid. Then I looked closer and voila. Been about a week and most of it seems to have dissipated.

My better half snuck a jug of this in on me and I used it last night. Noticed foam this morning. Just got around to looking here. So I will gently notify her of this spill less issue and attempt to correct. Fortunately, we have some rain in the forecast so I my be able to backflush a bit tonight, check and adjust pH and put the correct bleach in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.