Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mustard Algae: Algaecide with Copper

1. Back To Top    #1

Mustard Algae: Algaecide with Copper

I think I screwed up. I had a new vinyl liner installed last week. My pool is 18' x 38' and it takes 3 truckloads of water to fill it; however, since water is $225 per truckload, I bought 3 truckloads and decided to fill the rest of it with my water hose (to save $). It took 2 days to fill it because I didn't want to leave the water running while I was at work. So, I couldn't put chlorine in it until it was deep enough to run the filter. But the pool store said no problem: city water has chlorine. Anyway, now I have mustard algae!

Now for the screw up: I went to the pool store. They sold me some algaecide. I dumped in about 2 ounces (maybe 3), and then looked at the ingredients.

Eek! COPPER. I had remembered somewhere that copper stains liners. Now I'm freaking out. Do you think my new liner will stain? I'm not using that stuff anymore. I should have looked at the ingredients first. I'm having a pool party tomorrow at noon. I'm also freaked out that the water will turn green because of the copper.

Please answer fast. I've already had 3 rum and cokes.

Thanks in advance.

Dejavu
    18' x 36' Vinyl In-Ground Pool
    New liner installed 5/14/11
    Hayward Sand Filter Super Pump VS
    North Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mustard Algae: Algaecide with Copper

I meant it takes *4* loads to fill it. sorry.
    North Carolina

3. Back To Top    #3

with 3oz...I doubt you have done any harm and I also doubt you have a mustard algae outbreak in 3 days. You do need to get your chlorine level up quickly though , post up some test results and try to perform the overnight FC loss test tonight...otherwise the pool party is at risk.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

I had it tested at the pool store 6 hours ago.

TA: 20
    PH: 6.4
    CYA 0
    Total Hardness: 270
    Total chlorine: 2.0
    Free chlorine: 2.9

Oh, and about the CYA. They told me to add 4 lbs. CYA slowly in the skimmer last week and not to backwash for a week. When I asked about the CYA today, they said not to worry because the Trichlor will increase it.

Thanks so much for your help...
    North Carolina

5. Back To Top    #5

TA and PH both need to come up right away. If you are going to continue using trichlor, raise TA to around 120 to 150 and PH to around 7.8.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    TA and PH both need to come up right away. If you are going to continue using trichlor, raise TA to around 120 to 150 and PH to around 7.8.
    A note of caution, I wouldn't raise the PH to 7.8 both chlorine (less effective at high PH) and even a small amount of copper that close to PH 8 could if you over shoot drop out of suspension (staining) safer to stay around PH 7.4 especially as you are going to be adding to the TA.