At a lost

Hello everyone,

I have been able to get our pool almost all blue. The problem I am having is that I can only vacuum to waste. Whenever I try and vacuum with the filter the vacuum just stops. Vacuuming to waste takes water out of our pool so fast and doesn't get the areas I need it to. Any idea how to increase suction so vacuum will work with filter like it used to?

Thanks everyone

Can you post a picture of your equipment? Pools with cartridge filter usually do not have a waste line plumbed in, so I am curious to see how everything is set up. Also it may help us figure out what is going on.

I'm guessing the way it is plumbed now you either must choose waste or filter. If you were interested in doing a little plumbing, you could replace the 2 way valve with a gate or ball valve that would allow you to direct some of the water to waste, some to the filter.

But that wasn't you're original question... Is the pump strainer basket clean? Have you lubed the o-ring on the pump strainer lid? Do you have a spare cartridge you could swap out and see if conditions improve? Have you checked all the connections between the skimmer and the pump for air leaks?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Glad you solved your problem! If you still have the old cartridge soak it overnight in a solution of 1 cup dishwasher soap and 5 gallons of water and rinse it well. That should remove the embedded gunk and make it a serviceable spare.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.